Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Hoping for the Aurora

NORWAY | Wednesday, 5 December 2018 | Views [444]

One night of my five nights in the north of Norway is already in the books. The weather and the clouds haven't let up, and I was so exhausted last night I ended up sleeping in until 3 PM today. It was dark by then, and there isn't much to do when it's dark. Most visitors come to Norway in summer. If you're not into winter sports such as skiing and snowmobiling, all there really is to do is see the aurora. 

Staale had to go to a meeting in Finnsnes this evening, so that gave me an option to expand my horizon regarding locations to spot the aurora. Ultimately I did some practicing and then some geocaching but didn't spot the aurora. Norway is a geographer's, photographer's, and geocacher's paradise, so it's the perfect country for me. I originally wanted to go to Bermuda because there are many geocaches in a tight vicinity but there are geocaches on every corner here in Norway. 

After no aurora sightings in Finnsnes, I ended up back in Gibostad where I dressed up warm again for the elusive Northern Lights. A hat, warm gloves, and extra layers are crucial. I should add that regardless of where you go, places where you see the aurora are either expensive to reach (Alaska, Northern Canada), expensive once you're there (Scandinavia), or have complicated bureaucracy (Russia), so there isn't a particularly easy way to see the Northern Lights. Norway is the easiest place due to the mild climate for such a northerly latitude. It was colder in Pennsylvania two weeks ago even though it sits 28 degrees further south. 

Since I woke up so late today I was full of energy this evening. One thing Norwegians are legendary at is decorating for Christmas; Norway is definitely worthy of a trip if you're into the Christmas spirit. "God yul" meaning "Merry Christmas" in Norwegian is in red lighting on nearly every home. 

Tonight I'd admire the Christmas decor, trudge through the snow, grab a few geocaches, and nearly lose my beanie (I definitely need that here!) but snow and cloud cover would rule the roost this evening. Two nights gone and no aurora...

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.