Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Howth Head

IRELAND | Thursday, 31 May 2018 | Views [752]

It rhymes with "oath" and "growth." Dara, my CS host, suggested Howth Head after a long walk round Dublin yesterday as well as a good spot for flying Juliett. After a light brekkie and two cups of coffee, I was on the bus toward Howth. As in London and Hong Kong, the buses are a double-decker. On the bus I met a family who, incredibly, live only two streets over from my former flat in Melbourne. Ireland seems to be beautiful regardless of where you go, and I knew as soon as I stepped off the bus I was going to be spending a large part of the day here. How is it that I'm a Farrell yet I've spent so little time in my motherland?

At Howth Summit, it was a lovely walk along the coast with a lighthouse in one direction and cliffs in another. As with elsewhere I needed my geocaching fix, and I ended up finding several in the area today. It was a little too windy to do any serious drone flying, but Juliett snapped a few gorgeous photos of the Irish coast

I sure lucked out with the weather, as I was told it's normally not this nice at this time of year.

The Irish coast is breathtaking! I climbed up another hill in search of a geocache and another spectacular view.

This little tree looks like a twirling ballerina.

I'd end up walking all the way along the coast to the town of Howth, having snapped dozens of photos and finding eight geocaches in eight attempts. An old church would intrigue me...

...as would the Radio Museum.

Colourful doors also ensure I keep snapping.

Dara invited me to join him for an outing at the home of a friend, so I wanted to get back in time for that. I brought along a bottle of Spanish rose wine and Dara made brownies. We had a delicious dinner of chicken and rice before playing a few games of pool. I took the bus there but decided to walk the return journey. Along the way I wandered past Phoenix Park, which is the largest city park in Europe and more than twice the size of Central Park. As I'm heading north tomorrow I won't have enough time to see more of the park. On the way home I searched for several geocaches, and I found all of them, so I was 14 for 14 today. It's always nice to have a perfect day of caching.

What a lovely day it was at Howth Head. Tomorrow I'm heading north to Northern Ireland where both the flag and currency changes.

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.