Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Light is Right!

ANTARCTICA | Saturday, 2 December 2017 | Views [654]

The light was absolutely right on our final full day in Antarctica today. Since I stayed up in the spa until 4:30 AM, I missed breakfast and didn’t wake up until after 9 AM when I heard an announcement “10 minutes until Group A has to be ready for the landing.” For a few seconds I felt as if I couldn’t be bothered getting up but I remembered (and was reminded) that it’s my final day in Antarctica. Without even my morning coffee, I was ready quickly and on my way to Hydrurga Island. “Hydrurga” is a Latin name for seal, and there’s supposed to be many leopard seals on the island.

The light was perfect for photography today.

Marvelling at the light, it was snap, snap, and more snap!

Chinstrap penguins and seals (fitting for a place named after them) would steal the show again.

We tried to land on Hydrurga Rocks the other day but conditions were too difficult, and though it was sunny the wind picked up quickly. Gabrielle is a little German lady whom I’ve gotten to like, and when I gave her a pick-up hug we ended up in the snow.

As many of us are good at noting the various shapes of icebergs, Gareth spotted one which appears to be a bird perched on it...

...and I spotted one which looks like a submarine

After hundreds of photos at Hydrurga Rocks, it was time to head back to the ship, wipe our face with a hot towel, have a hot cuppa, and feast on an exquisite lunch. Today I'd indulge in breaded pork escalopes with a side of chips and some beef noodle soup. Strawberry eclairs would be on the menu for dessert.

It was time to lace up our boots one last time (not really "lace up" since the boots don't have laces) and set foot on D'Hainaut Island. With blue skies and abundant snow (and wind), photos came out majestic all round.

Today I did perhaps the boldest thing in Antarctica: one of the Chinese guys lost his pack liner and it blew straight toward us and in football goalie fashion, I dove for it and caught it, much to their amazement. I hope someone got a video of me catching it. Though it was sunny, it was windy and one of the expedition guys was hurrying us to get back toward the Zodiacs. I couldn't figure out why when the light was so right and I was busy snapping photos and trying to get a video, but later I found out if it got windy enough we could be stuck on the island for some time. The Zodiac ride back to the ship was a very wet one and the wind was picking up.

Mojitos were on special at the bar tonight so I opted for one as my pre-polar plunge drink, only to find out whilst sipping it, that conditions were too rough and that we wouldn't be doing the plunge. I was so disappointed! However, I did a similar plunge in Milford Sound years ago. 

Dinner tonight would be exquisite like usual, as tonight would be roast turkey. The food is so great I often get two different meals. Dessert would be a deliciously delectable flourless chocolate mocha roll. Afterward, the Antarctic sunset with a nearly full moon would be stunning!

Tonight would begin the long journey north back toward Ushuaia. It's sad leaving Antarctica, as I think all of us were touched. This most certainly is a journey that will change you. From here it sounds like it'll be the "Drake Shake" again according to weather reports. We would have a very nice recap of all the places we visited and events we undertook. We had an astounding nine different landings with three on the Antarctic continent and six on various islands. Each place had its own hightlights: different weather, wildlife, and sights, and different feelings of exhilaration to go with it.

Seven continents under my belt...my next mission perhaps should be to reach every country in the world, and I'm well on my way. I discussed the North Pole tonight wondering how I'm going to come up with $29K to make it, Yvonne said to me "you'll make it for sure!" From here, I shall only dream bigger and aim higher.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.