Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Landfall

ANTARCTICA | Tuesday, 28 November 2017 | Views [724]

We’d make our first Antarctic landing today…well, sort of. We didn’t touch down in continental Antarctica but we’d set foot on dry land for the first time since Saturday. After breakfast, our first stop of the day would be the Great Wall scientific station, owned by China.

I’m not sure if we stopped here because most of the travellers are Chinese or because it’s the most easily accessible station. It was nice to have a good sleep last night with virtually no motion. With my parka, waterproof trousers, and rubber boots (no, these aren’t Cyndi Lauper’s kinky boots) on, I hopped into the Zodiac and we were off to the Great Wall. Riding in a Zodiac is an experience in itself, as they're the means for getting to shore. MOB means "man overboard" not "mind your own business" as that's MYOB. You must take your backpack off and be assisted into the Zodiac a certain way. My first time riding in a Zodiac was courtesy of Francois in Saint-Pierre so I do have some experience and am aware they're very robust.

I needed a ceremonial photo of my first steps in Antarctic territory.

Great Wall Station is located on Nelson Island, in the South Shetland Islands. Oddly, there’s mobile phone coverage at the station, and a few people got text messages saying they were in China. The only building we could visit at the station was the museum, but I think everyone was in awe of a gentoo penguin nesting in the middle of the road.

At the museum you can even get your passport stamped, although none of us brought ours with us because they keep them at reception. A geodesic dome could make the case for being the world's largest football (soccer ball).

With all the snow and ice, ordinary tyres don't work here.

Whilst the kayakers went paddling for the first time, we all went on a Zodiac cruise around Nelson Island where we spotted some Adelie penguins. Of the three main species of penguins in the Antarctic Peninsula, these are the most difficult to spot.

By mid-morning we were all back on the ship with a hot cuppa and a hot towel ready for all of us. Ahhh, it's nice to have a hot drink when you're back from the cold. When you leave the ship, you have to get your card swiped showing you're out and then swiped again when you're back in, so it's ensured we're not left behind in Antarctica. Ruel did his usual announcement and our lunch was ready. Divine like always, I had thai beef & noodle salad and then fish & chips. Dessert was a delicious one of coconut pineapple pudding. The waiters are good at remembering our habits and faces, and know that I like a black coffee with one spoon of sugar.

This afternoon, we’d make landfall again on Halfmoon Island, home of many thousands of chinstrap penguins and other wildlife.

Halfmoon Island is very small, and here I am excitedly.

Less than 2 km long, we all walked to the other end.

The expedition team puts up flags to indicate our path, and with our boots we're bound to make big holes in the snow; we need to fill them in so penguins don't fall in. We had a full two hours to stroll around and take photos. Basking at one end of the island was a Weddell seal.

With our first two landings, it was a very productive day. We were fortunate to see three different species of penguins (Adelie, gentoo, and chinstrap) today. Dinner was divine as usual. As a starter I opted for one of my favourites: french onion soup. Then, I had roast prime rib, and for dessert I had pears belle helene (reminds me of Aunty Jo's Kitchen) and a side of chocolate fondant cake. I plan to eat as much as I possibly can on this journey because I have reason to celebrate.

Tonight was our Captain’s Welcome reception. Champagne was on offer, and our comical captain, Oleg, introduced himself. He’s from Ukraine. From there, it was a jovial party atmosphere onboard. We made our first landings in Antarctic territory today, and I think we're all happy about that.

Anja is very good at making announcements and plans for the next day, and tomorrow we have a landing on Antarctica planned. I will not say I've been to Antarctica until I touch down on the continent itself, but that shall happen soon.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.