Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Goose Green

FALKLAND ISLANDS | Tuesday, 31 October 2017 | Views [841] | Comments [1]

geese on a green

geese on a green

Yesterday in Stanley the weather was sunny and gorgeous! I walked round in shorts and a T-shirt for most of the day and I flew Juliett, my drone, in the Falklands for the first time.

After two nights in Stanley, it was time to make a run for "camp," which is anywhere in the Falklands outside of Stanley. Derived from the Spanish word "campo," camp is truly remote, and you must be self-sufficient. As a collector of SIM cards, a Falkland SIM card is about the coolest because it has the flag on it. At ₤30, they're very pricey. Internet costs in the Falklands are among the highest in the world; Argentina won't allow the installation of a fiber-optic cable and it's impractical to run one from the UK. As with Norfolk Island, the Falkland Islands are a place to have a break from the web. Outside of Stanley, there are only three shops, one cafe, and no bars. I stocked up on a large amount of food yesterday, including instant oatmeal, coffee, tea, pasta, and so forth. I made sure to stock up on extra provisions including oranges, apples, and two bottles of wine in case I'm spontaneously invited into a home in camp. Tom had to drive his friend to Mount Pleasant Airport (MPA) so he used the opportunity to give me a lift to Goose Green. The weather completely turned to shit by the time Tom dropped me, and when I tapped on the door of the home of Keith, the farm manager, he said I could sleep in the shearing shed since the weather is too foul to pitch my tent.

The cafe was closed but when I jumped online quickly, I got some shocking news. My friend Irfan, whom I've known for more than 15 years, passed away from alcoholism at only 38. Irfan was one of those guys who would have given the shirt off his back to people, and he always wanted those around him to have a good time. We used to meet up at TGI Friday's and watch the Lakers together, and it was always a good time with him. Due to the lack of internet, it's very difficult to talk to anybody so I won't know the full story until I'm back in Chile in a couple of weeks.

Last night I had an incredibly hard time sleeping because it was very cold and due to finding out Irfan passed away. I woke up continuously every 10 minutes or so. When I finally crawled out of my sleeping bag, it was sunny and gorgeous, but windy.

You might notice how all the roofs in Goose Green are the same colour. A shearing shed may not be the most comfortable place to sleep but it's an experience nonetheless. I kinda wished I'd pitched my tent; the sun would have had a warming effect. I decided to unpack my brand-new tent and, incredibly, I'm supposed to use a trekking pole that doesn't even come with the tent as a support! The Falklands sure aren't a place to be without a tent (or learn how to pitch a new one). What really isn't in my favour is the ferry schedule to West Falkland; the next ferry isn't for another couple of days and the next West-East ferry isn't until 10 November, the night before I fly back to Chile. I'll have to either spend an entire week on West Falkland or fly back on Falkland Island Government Air Service (FIGAS). When I spoke with Keith today, he told me to sleep in a cabin with a heater. I still had to sleep on the floor with my sleeping mat but it's nice to have some warmth. If I do end up going west, Goose Green has the only cafe outside of Stanley and makes the latter feel like Manhattan by comparison.

On this gorgeous day I walked to Darwin and found my 16th geocache in the Falklands. Horses, sheep, an cattle are an everyday sight on the Falklands.

From there I walked to Darwin...

It's a far cry from Darwin, Australia. In camp, this is what the roads look like. No sealed roads here.

My lower target for geocaching in the Falklands is 20 finds and my upper target is 40. After signing off on the only cache for many miles around, I tried to fly Juliett but it was too windy so I called into Darwin House for a coffee and some good chats with the proprietor, Dolly. Her husband has family in Melbourne. On the way back I got a lift part way and then called in at the cafe for a bacon burger and chips. It could be a week before I have a proper feed again so I'd better enjoy it whilst I can. Tomorrow I plan to climb Mt. Usborne, the high point in the Falkland Islands. It's not very high: only 705 metres, but moderately challenging due to wind and cold. Though it's interesting sleeping in a shearing shed, I'll admit I feel lonely here. It's really nice of Keith to allow me to stay here, especially free of charge, although I have nobody to talk to. I hope Anikka will undertake a journey with me someday.

After a cup of tea, I shall sleep better tonight. Mt. Usborne is coming up!

Comments

1

hey che

  Eugene mclaren May 26, 2018 4:30 AM

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Falkland Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.