Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Colonial Tramcar Restaurant

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 April 2017 | Views [619]

Today I'd partake in another event that I've always wanted to do whilst in Melbourne, and that's the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant. Weeks ago I told Jo that it's "one of those things I'd much rather have a date to, rather than being alone." I got my wish, as my friend Karen would join me on this intimate outing. Karen is the mother of two children with autism, and we met weeks ago after a falling out with another "friend" I met whilst in Melbourne. Despite her full-on life, Karen is very outgoing and down-to-earth.

The dress code for today is "smart casual" but what exactly does that mean? My housemate, Andrew, dresses up for job interviews far better than I have for any interview, dance, wedding, or funeral; my selection of clothes is very thin on the ground. Today I wore my nice black and white shirt that Helena got me, my pounamu necklace, and a nice pair of shorts as I called to double check the dress code. I advised Karen to not dress overly formal.

Rather foolishly, I got on the tram to the departure point instead of walking. All of the trams in Melbourne's CBD are free but it's often faster to walk than to take the tram. Fortunately I made it on time though the tram restaurant was a bit late.

At 1 PM, we all got on. As soon as we sat down I asked Karen how she felt and she said "posh." What a novelty: a moving restaurant on a tram. First up came a glass of champagne to go with a plate of hummus and crackers; absolutely brilliant as Karen and I spoke quietly (Jo went on the restaurant years ago and advised me that it's a very enclosed, confined space).

For our entree, Karen had grilled barramundi whilst I had duck terrine.

The service onboard is absolutely impeccable and there are unlimited drinks. Karen preferred vodka and orange whilst I preferred NZ sauvignon blanc, and we'd be served another without even asking for it. The tram travelled through the CBD and then we ventured toward St. Kilda. The luncheon is perhaps best on weekdays because you're more likely to meet other Melbournians. Sitting behind us with some extended family was a 93-year old woman with the energy of a 65-year old. I told her she'll easily make it to 103.

Our excellent mains would be the next course served: roast beef fillet with vegetables, scallop potatoes, onion marmalade, and red wine jus. Absolutely divine!

Karen read some of the reviews before today, and she noticed that there were quite a few complaints but I have absolutely none. Our final course was a cheese platter for Karen and a fruit platter for myself. Since I don't like cheese, I arranged ahead to have a fruit platter. It was a delicious one of orange, strawberries, kiwifruit, passionfruit, and rockmelon (canteloupe).

After our absolutely wonderful meal, we were served coffee and then the server brought around a chocolate square and a postcard for each of us. At the end of two hours, I think all of us were tipsy and more so in awe of such great service, fantastic food, and a romantic ambiance aboard the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant. A great date idea and an absolute must whilst you're in Melbourne.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.