Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Lord, Howe I'll miss you!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 24 September 2016 | Views [683]

Many places and people have touched my heart...deeply. I've come upon another place that has done just that. It's my final day on Lord Howe Island, and it's only fitting that I tackle the island one more time with a magical walk. After packing my stuff, I slopped on some sunscreen and walked up to Malabar Hill via Ned's Beach. Certainly, there is no shortage of lovely bushwalks on Lord Howe. The weather was brilliant and the water was absolutely beautiful.

"Breathtaking" is a vast understatement when describing Lord Howe; it's drop-dead stunning! As much a highlight of the island's beauty are the people I've met and the dinners we shared. Willow and Nobbs invited me to their home for dinner and baked me a birthday cake. Darcelle made her fabulous curry and a dessert of banana pilhi. I swear I could taste Norfolk Island as I bit into the pilhi. My cooking and baking were very well received and I really enjoyed sharing with everybody. Wes and Deb really liked my pizza and I enjoyed Deb's vegetarian patties.

If I ever get married, I want my wedding to take place on Lord Howe. I just have to find my special lady. Slightly emotional, Darcelle and I drove toward the airport on this brilliant day. Two flights have been cancelled since I arrived; would a third one be cancelled today? No such luck! I was the last passenger to check in for my flight and they were anxious to take off early since everyone was there. Interestingly, there's no security screening at the airport. As I boarded I asked the flight attendant if we'd be taking off east or west. We flew west, though I was hoping we'd fly east so the plane would turn around and I could snap a photo of the whole island. From the plane today I snapped some incredible photos of the lagoon, even with the propeller in the photo. Lord Howe Island is like Alison; it's impossible to snap a bad photo of her no matter how hard you try.

My first trip to Lord Howe is in the books, and another shall happen someday. A special shout-out goes to Darcelle for being my amazing host. She went above and beyond for me even with a very busy schedule. Shout-outs also go to Willow and Nobbs for their hospitality, and to Wes and Deb for enjoying my culinary works. Another shout-out goes to Dean for taking me up Mt. Gower on my birthday, and to Ken for taking me on two snorkelling trips (even with all the seawater I swallowed). Dani at Pinetrees Lodge receives a shout-out for inviting me to the lunch buffet yesterday. Lord Howe does as well with its people and food as it does with its scenery!

Life isn't measured in the amount of breaths you take, but instead by the moments that take your breath away. Lord Howe Island, you took my breath away in nearly the same amount of breaths I took, and I'll certainly miss you.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.