Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Aunty Jo's Kitchen II

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 2 June 2016 | Views [448]

Aunty Jo's

Aunty Jo's "bush brekkie"

Until today I thought "Aunty Jo" was coined by Andy but I learned Jo was often older and taller than most of her friends.

Late last year, Jo moved from Melbourne to her sister's campout in Tiaro, halfway between Gympie and MaryborougH. For the past several days I've been staying with them and it's been heaps of fun. The dogs can run amok, we can be as loud and rambunctious as we want, and it's a good atmosphere. There's no oven yet Aunty Jo's Kitchen hasn't lost a touch of magic. Last October I was disappointed to find the oven broke at Andy's house because I was absolutely hungry for Jo's roast lamb. Several months ago I helped Jo load everything into a trailer, and Andy was flat-out nasty to her, and since then he's sent a series of nasty texts, most recently after I called Tommy asking if any mail had arrived for me. Unfortunately there's a fair few angry and bitter people in this world, and Andy is one of them. Jo seems much happier here, though she says she's very much a city slicker. Their place is so remote, Jo said she would have to pick me up regardless. After picking me up and arriving, I could see why. Jo made it all the way from Melbourne yet the trailer got stuck on a rather steep dirt road only metres from the campout. One of Loz' friends helped unload stuff on the side of the road to lighten the trailer, and then it was unstuck.

Queensland is pineapple country. Down the road, the queen of fruits is sold for "1/2 a buk."

It may not be the healthiest breakfast, but Jo cooked up a hearty concoction of sausages, bacon, roasted pineapple, mushrooms, and tomato relish for "brekkie in the bush." In a Dutch oven, Jo makes roast lamb and vegetables over an open fire.

After a long hitchhiking trip from Hobart to Tiaro, I feel like I've returned home. Life is a bit more difficult, such as regularly buying petrol for the generator and having to haul water to wash dishes and have a shower. Difficulties aside, there's always an abundance of wine, laughter, and hearty food at Aunty Jo's place.

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.