Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Flying Ultralight

NORFOLK ISLAND | Saturday, 11 June 2016 | Views [1555]

Nepean & Philip Island like never before!

Nepean & Philip Island like never before!

Sadly, it’s my final full day in Norfolk. Happily, I made the most of this gorgeous day full of sunrises, photos, pizzas, wine, comedy and…an ultralight flight! Awake at 4:30 AM I was to see a magical Norfolk Island sunrise. With the light of the stars I walked before sitting peacefully in a complete state of bliss. It was wonderful! Due to the time of year I didn’t see the sun on the horizon at Lone Pine but it was still magical.

Snapping away I got carried away with photos though at one point for a few minutes I sat still and meditated with the only sound being the ocean waves and the rustle of wind through the pines. Denise spotted me as she and several others were set to go kayaking; she actually thought I slept on the beach last night. Sounds like something I’d do, but not last night. “Who owns the little plane?” I asked Denise, and she said “Rob Ryan, give him a call” so I thought I’d give a go. I’m leaving morla so chances were extremely slim. What a beautiful morning it was! As I walked up Rooty Hill Rd. back toward Dave’s I bumped into Tamara, a beautiful reporter doing a story about Norfolk for a French magazine. We met on Bounty Day as she asked names and ages of various descendants.

At around noon I thought I’d call Rob (after I nearly didn’t) and he said he might do a flight later. My heart started beating with excitement, thinking “this could be another ‘only-Chris-Farrell-could-do-that’” story. Only a few minutes later Rob called back saying “How does 3:30 sound?” and I said “YES! Absolutely!” Euphorically I nearly collapsed in amazement. Excitedly I poured some red wine into a plastic cup and walked down to Kingston. Though it’s Saturday there was hardly anyone down there; no footy or rugby going on like last weekend. Wow! I was just so amazed I’d be getting on that plane today. Rob said to pitch in $100 for petrol and I was fine with that; he could easily charge visitors $300-$400 for a “flightseeing” tour. After another gorgeous walk through Kingston I hitched in the back of a ute to the RSL where I had another wine whilst watching a bit of the NBA Finals. One of “Blocka’s” friend’s told him off after picking on me the other night and I’ve learned he has very few friends as a result of his bullying. I wonder if he’s “Blocka” because someone knocked his “block off.” I told the barman not to allow me to have another drink. All ready, I stopped and got some money and walked toward the airport. Hadyn Bell built the plane and they’re not kidding when they say it’s ultralight! It’s so light that only one person can easily pull or push it, and the wings are light, hollow, and could be bent with bare hands.

It’s only a two-seater and the door can be taken off for better photos. I’ll admit for the first few minutes I was nervous but once we powered into the sky I was amazed! We took off heading east and straight away I snapped a perfect shot of Kingston.

Norfolk Island is so colourful from the air!

Over Rooty Hill Rd. I snapped a point blank shot of Dave’s house before we flew over Emily Bay for that postcard shot.

The fuel tank has only a two litre capacity yet it can fly as far as Lord Howe Island. I now have the privilege of having photos of Norfolk Island from virtually every vantage point! After this flight, I would love to learn how to fly. A local lady was flying on the plane for the first time and she was nervous but I told her to just empty her pockets, keep her camera around her neck, feel the euphoria, and she’d be fine. After we touched down I felt ecstatic in a way I’ve rarely felt before. My dream was to fly in a plane like that and I fulfilled it!

I’m not kidding when I say there is never a dull moment on Norfolk. Incredibly, Rob didn’t charge me for the flight. The money I withdrew will be a gift to Dave & Heide. Rob dropped me off outside Dave’s and I ran home with excitement! Over pizzas and red wine I told Dave excitedly about the flight. He said he heard it flying overhead and knew I was on it. I’ve been to as many countries as Shakespeare wrote plays: 36. Norfolk is the duchess of my travels; the place where I have a photo on the wall and I look up and dream of her. At Jolly Roger’s tonight I did some standup comedy, such as this one

I’d heard of this old hermit who lives down near Crystal Pools; you just hang a right. My Nuffka friend and I decided to go visit him but he found him downright boring, so then I asked him “did you like him?” and he said “no mate, the bum bore us.”

That’s in reference to the Bumboras but the crowd favourite was the one about Jesus going up the “Cross” in Sydney on Easter Sunday. How about “two slabs of drywall went to a party at Foot Nort, by the end of the night they were plastered!”

The crowd really liked my comedy tonight. With a bird on my shoulder I noted how my favourite song is Three Little Birds and how I only need two more. My last drink was on the house tonight and I got to give Eli one last hug before I was given a lift home. Like my previous trips to Norfolk I've managed to finish this one off with a bang. Tomorrow I'll be sad as I'm flying heavyweight but today I had that "Norfolk smile" to go with a feeling of euphoria that I flew ultralight.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.