Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Contently Soaked!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 April 2016 | Views [615]

Waking up I felt like Link in the beginning of Ocarina of Time, a bit chilly, a sleepy head, reluctant to get up even as Navi the fairy tried to wake him. Eventually I'd jump up as if I'm the Hero of Time but with a large pack and tough mind instead of a sword and shield. Possums were scurrying round outside whilst I brushed my teeth and prepared my morning tea. Many people decided to set out early so they could possibly catch the earlier ferry. Today's walk was almost entirely flat but I was getting soaked early. But, I didn't care because there's nothing I can do.

At Narcissus Hut, many people were hanging round for the ferry. The rain came down hard again so I decided to have a break and make some soup and a cuppa.

On the hut message board there's a note saying there's platypuses at the jetty, but aren't active until around 6 PM. Two hunters showed up and they said "the rain ain't gonna get any better" so I decided to just make a run for it, not caring that I'm soaked. My rain gear helped as I walked through a wet forest with fungi on either side of the track. This one here looks like coral.

Two hours after leaving Narcissus Hut, tiny Echo Point Hut I spotted, and contently soaked I was as a French couple was playing cards and eating biscuits. Immediately I got my pack off and hung my wet jumper to dry. There was still plenty of daylight and I could have finished the walk today but it was pissing down rain and I could prepare fresh for tomorrow. The ferry picked up the French couple and they left their biscuits behind as the sky got dimmer and darker. There's no rainwater tank at the hut; I had to collect some water from the lake to brush my teeth, prepare a cuppa, and make dinner. As I walked on the jetty toward the lake I sung the "seranade of water" as if I was on the shores of Lake Hylia. I made the Mexican rice Pip gave me, and then for dessert I made those butterscotch apples. A different couple brought along the same apples and said they didn't like them, and I didn't care for them either. It was a (relative) culinary feast tonight as I had biscuits, Mexican rice, and butterscotch apples to go with several cups of tea. It was chilly tonight as rain hit the tin roof hard. Earlier this week I was wondering why I brought such a huge box of matches but they really came in handy tonight as I couldn't get the fire going.

No matter how hard I tried, it just wouldn't light
After a lot of frustration, I finally got the right
From there on I watched the fire roar
Drying off like an eagle, reluctant to soar
The fireplace is antique and rather old
So they say as the story is told
It burns that ancient fossil fuel in coal
And it helped; staying warm was my goal
Persistence paid off as I gave it another try
Contently soaked I was, but now I'm dry

Haha, I could write a lot of poetry about the track, mountains, fungi, lake, hut, and fireplace. The fire only lasted so long, as I climbed into my sleeping bag. It was pitch dark; the only sound being the rain...until I heard some voices at 12:30 AM. I could tell they were walkers, and hearing them talk it sounded as if they were confused. Immediately I jumped up out of bed, rather amused. They weren't sure if this was the hut. Zac and Anslie are a young couple on a romantic getaway. It turned out they flew into Hobart this afternoon, hired a car, drove all the way to Derwent Bridge, and then trekked all the way in the pissing rain to Echo Point Hut. I laughed and said "you guys should have just stayed in Hobart and made your way here tomorrow" but it turns out they're only in Tassie for about four nights. They're surprised there's no mattresses in the huts; unfortunately it's BYOM (bring your own mat) on the Overland Track.

Exhausted and cold after a long day, like the "Hero of Time" I shall dream about the days of playing Zelda. Some days I really miss my video games but I'm content because I'm doing what I always did vicariously in games, and that's see other worlds. The finish line is in sight...tomorrow. Euphoria, fish & chips, and a glass of wine await!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.