Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Reflecting on the DPRK

NORTH KOREA | Saturday, 21 November 2015 | Views [608]

In a day in the DPRK there’s always a lot to write about and talk about. Slightly sad I was this morning and certainly I indulged in too much soju last night. I would thank Margo for tipping out my last drink and walking me to my room last night. Five days is most certainly not enough time for the DPRK. This journey, like those to my other previous 35 countries, has taught me a lot but in a very different way. We all understand that the DPRK isn’t as bad as everyone says it is. As humans we tend to believe 95% or more of what we hear when chances are half or more are lies. What the US thinks of the DPRK, the DPRK thinks of the US, and I feel the US only hates the DPRK because it’s one of the last remaining countries not to bow to them. If the Korean Peninsula was a major oil-producing region, the DPRK would have been wiped off the map eons ago and Kim Il-sung or Kim Jong-il would have been toppled as quickly as Saddam Hussein. As we all boarded the bus this morning it was time to say goodbye to Ms. Tong; she’s staying behind at the hotel. Still dark it was a 30-minute drive to the airport. I advised everyone to take photos of their visa since immigration keeps it upon leaving. Lim let out some last-minute jokes and I told both him and Mr. Kim to contact me if they ever come to Australia (or wherever else I am in the world); both of them have my business card. Wisely, I packed two different DPRK won notes in two different places in my luggage: one amidst some CDs in my large bag and another amidst some visa paperwork in my wallet. With only a cursory glance at my wallet and what notes I had stick out obviously I was let through and I nearly forgot my bag in the process! Laura and I would get a photo. Whilst I don’t have many favourites, I’ve really enjoyed hanging out with Laura.

She has a very bubbly personality and is fun to hang out with. Air Koryo 151 would power into the sky over the DPRK landscape and I think we’d all be slightly emotional. This is a journey that has really touched all of us and as much as I shun guided tours, the DPRK is a place where a tour is extremely useful. Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, you’ve had a really positive impact on me and have shed a very bright light. I hope to return someday! 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about North Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.