Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Footscray-cray

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 17 October 2015 | Views [956] | Comments [1]

One thing I like about Melbourne is how no two sections are alike. Toorak is the posh section. St. Kilda has a backpacker's vibe. Collingwood is perhaps the most LGBT-friendly district, and Fitzroy or Brunswick have perhaps the funkiest vibe in all of Melbourne. In terms of ethnic diversity, Footscray tops 'em all! Often thought of as "Footsy," "Footscary," or "Footscrazy," the way I refer to it is "Footscray-cray." Keep in mind I'm by no means gangsta! Easily one of my favourite sections of Melbourne I never fail to enjoy the ethnic flavour. Exiting Footscray Station I wasn't far from Melbourne's version of "Little Ethiopia." I've been fortunate to live in or spend time in a number of cities with a large Ethiopian presence (Los Angeles, Melbourne, Seattle) so it hasn't been hard to relive my Ethiopian days and practice my Amharic over a flask of tej or coffee. Nicholson St. is lined with several Ethiopian restaurants and pool halls; in fact I was ushered in by the owner of one a few months ago whilst wearing my Ethiopian jersey. Today I'd call in at Ras Dashen Restaurant, named after the highest point in Ethiopia. The manager suggested gomen de-tibs (cabbage and lamb tibs) so that's what I ordered along with spiced tea.

Little did I know they serve tej in a barille as well. 

Suddenly I felt like I was back in Ethiopia, more specifically back in a tej beat. In retrospect, I love Ethiopia! It's one of those countries that, when you're there you want to get out, and when you're not you always want to go back! Ethiopia got under my skin and never fully left me! Whilst sipping my tej I chatted to Abebe: a habesha bloke doing his PhD in computer enginering at LaTrobe University. He did his MA in South Korea and plans to return to Ethiopia once he finishes school. Many Ethiopians leave their homeland and never return; if they do its often to visit family because it's so expensive to get there from many of the cities with a large diaspora. Here, Abebe and I are raising our barilles to a tasty meal and an intoxicating drink. 

I ended up reliving my Ethiopian days too much and having three flasks of tej. Anyone who travels to Ethiopia and goes out on the drink will quickly learn how powerful Ethiopian drinks are. 

The next day I'd return to Footscray to soak up the atmosphere some more. Ethiopian restaurants aren't the only stars: Vietnamese noodle shops, French bakeries, Indian curries, and Chinese takeaways dot Barkly St. In fact, less than half of Footscray's population was born in Australia. Footscray Park is where I'd wonder in search of a couple of geocaches. Remembering Footscray is still in Australia, there's a bust of Henry Lawson in the park. He's up there with Banjo Patterson as one of Australia's greatest bush poets. 

If you're in Melbourne for awhile and would like some injera, tej, curry, or croissants to go with your shrimp on the barbie, Footscray is for you!

Comments

1

Being African American tourist,I had great time in Australia but I must admit i was becoming home sick as I mis my afro causine,Jamaican food etc until one ausy told me to head to place called ras dashen Footscray,yes great place,great food also I notice Footscray is little different from other suburbs in Melbourne,the diversity! Lol reminds me new York hahaha loved every minute..

  maden Dec 13, 2015 10:56 PM

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.