Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Bumboras

NORFOLK ISLAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [1268]

How many places do you know of with only one school, one roundabout, one ATM, and one street light? There aren’t many, and Norfolk is one of the few. This special little island has greatly exceeded my expectations and this has to be one of the best last-minute choices I’ve ever made! This morning I had an appointment at the tourism office, so I was up extra early as I prepared my tea, listened to music, and allowed the soft breeze blowing through the pines to enter my room. I always have to allow extra time to do anything here because it’s tempting to stop and talk to everyone. Troy showed up and said the mojitos were great last night. This morning I realized I wrote the wrong link to my book on the board and some of the children wrote it down in their notebooks, so I had Nicki email the headmaster and give her the correct link. It was 9:15 AM and I had to get down to the tourism office, so out the door I was, and into town I was! At the tourism office they offered me a cuppa and asked me how I like Norfolk and for suggestions. I explained that Norfolk has huge potential for young and active travellers, and that a backpackers or a campground would be ideal. Locals could even advertise rooms in their homes for young travellers. As Nicki suggested I asked if they knew of anyone going over to Philip Island. They said they’d get back to me if they found anything out. When we finished our meeting they set up an appointment with Louci at Norfolk Radio. I’ll be on air tomorrow at around 1:00 PM. Today I wanted to go to the Bumboras, with sweeping views of both Nepean and Philip Islands amidst a beautiful setting. I decided to park my bike and have my first Norfolk hitchhiking experience. A lady picked me up straight away and then arranged for someone else to take me a wee bit closer. Down a steep I walked and I was on a rocky beach. I’m not sure which I like better: Ball Bay or the Bumboras. On the rocks I stood with my camera in hand soaking up the views, shooting videos, snapping photos, and soaking up the views some more.

Cristina invited me to lunch at Heritage Hill at 1:30 PM so I had a fair bit of time to get back. It was cool enough this morning that I brought a jumper but by noon it was really warm. Nearly every place on the island is a photo opportunity.

Walking along the road I was picked up by a local named Greg. I messaged him before arriving and he recognized me from my photos. I retrieved my bicycle and then rode toward Heritage Hill. Sarah bought the last copy of my book today, so as a treat I got fish & chips and a glass of sauvignon blanc. Natalie the customs official joined us for lunch along with one of their other friends. The fish was great, the chips not as much so. Cristina used my camera to get some good headshots of me.

She’s a professional photographer for weddings and events. She then asked “did you see the supply ship unloading?” “No” I said. “I’m surprised nobody told you about it, it’s one of the highlights of Norfolk.” When vehicles are unloaded, they’re placed atop two rowboats and floated to shore. We put the bike in the back of the preschool bus and headed down that way but the ship was already gone, and the workers were having their beers after a hard day. I was very tired by then and I debated whether to have Cristina drop me at Mokutu or sample the liqueurs at Norfolk Island Liqueurs. There’s a difference between liquor and liqueur but I’m not really sure of the difference; I’ve never been much into hard liquor. I’m almost strictly a wine drinker. Cristina dropped me at the distillery where over 20 different flavours are available. Whilst I wasn’t keen to try them all, I did try a few. The coconut seems a lot stronger than it is. OK, by then I was very tired, and I cycled my exhausted self back to Mokutu where I lay across the bed for a nap. Nicki was getting ready to leave when I awoke, and I thought I’d visit Dave (“Fix it Dave” I call him, because of his T-shirt). Dave has lived on the island for four years yet he’s always discovering new places. His favourite place is Cemetary Bay where crabs walk on the beach. Sharks are a common sight near the pier and at Headstone Point when cattle remains are dumped into the sea. Tonight I was bored and wanted some excitement, so instead of going back to Mokutu I headed into town. Dave dropped me there and I hung out at League’s Club. Hayden was having a beer with his mates and I had a glass of vino whilst chatting to two teachers. Shannon and her friend were very intrigued by my story. After not one but three glasses of wine I staggered on over to MiniBar where Troy shouted me a glass of wine. Emma seems to like me a lot, saying “you’re very funny, why weren’t you here two months ago?” Tonight I got the funniest photo with Emma and Shari.

Having beyond my limit for drinking I rode my bike home slowly. The full moon tonight helped me get home safely, and I was out cold within minutes. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.