Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Ski Town this is NOT!

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [1291]

Arriving back in West Auckland before my trip to Norfolk Island, I'm back in a sense of "normality". I'm not sure if I've ever told you about my friend Erica. We met in Australia back in '07 and I've met up with her a few times on this journey.

Erica & I

She lives in Henderson with her mum and brother. Henderson isn't exactly Auckland's best and most spectacular area but retains an ethnic flavour and air vastly different to Queenstown. Whilst down there you'll encounter Germans, French, Italians, and Czechs among others, up here you'll encounter people of Tongan, Samoan, Chinese, Indian, Niuean, Tokelauan, and Thai, just to name a few. "Chinese Takeaways" is a common sight here, as are Pacific Islander youths hanging out at the shopping mall sporting the latest fashions. Tomorrow I'm off to Norfolk Island and I'm extremely excited yet it feels great to be here again. For lunch I called in at "Henderson Roast Food" for my first roast meal ever (I think). It's hard to believe I've been in New Zealand all this time and I've never had a roast meal. Tucking into roast lamb with veggies and mint sauce, it was tasty!

roast lamb meal

The shops I browsed, having a look at some Indian clothing.

Indian clothing

Auckland may not be the world's most spectacular city but it gets an unfairly bad rep from other travellers. It's easy to wander many parts of the city, including Henderson, for days and not encounter another traveller. However, this area is about as juxtaposed to Queenstown as you can get! No skis or snowboards here, that's for sure. Norfolk Island, here I come!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.