Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

I see Jessica!

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 14 January 2007 | Views [1183]

            On my 6th full day in sunny Australia, I had another eventful day. I woke up on board the Sunlander. While I was sleeping, we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn, which is my first time crossing a Tropic circle on land. I reckon it was difficult sleeping sitting up. I woke up at 9 AM and the Queensland landscape was green again, with many sugar cane plantations. I got a blueberry muffin for brekkie and just relaxed, enjoying the view. I hung out with Kato and Jumbo. They have a shower on the train, but I don’t have a towel with me. I got changed and washed up. I bought a hot dog and played Pokemon on my Nintendo DS. We stopped at Cooroy and a number of other places, and got a photo at nearly every stop. I met this beautiful lady named Pearl. She’s 36 and she had the prettiest red hair. She’s traveling with her daughter Emily and is going back home. We each gave each other a back massage and I hugged her. I was really attracted to her. I’ve met so many very nice people on this trip, and that’s why I don’t feel alone. It is really fun seeing a country from the window of a train. The final stop at Brisbane was at 3:30. I hung out with Pearl for a little while longer and she gave me her number and told me we should spend a night under the stars together. She lives in Ipswich; a suburb of Brisbane. She told me to call her next week and we could spend some time together. Shortly after, the Sunlander pulled into Brisbane. It was a long 31 hour journey, but it really was very special! This trip, like my first two, has had a lasting impact on me. I’ve actually learned to travel even cheaper. After getting off the train, I helped Kato carry some of his stuff. His wife was supposed to meet him there, but she wasn’t there yet. Kato was very nice to me; he even bought me a Diet Coke last night. After helping him out, we swapped emails and he pointed me in the direction of the Gold Coast. There was a train headed there in 20 minutes. So, I bought a ticket to Nerang and just waited. I had told Jessica that I’d probably spend a night in Brisbane, but I didn’t realize how easy it would be to get to the Gold Coast. I had the idea that the railroad ended in Brisbane. I got on the train and played my Nintendo DS, just waiting to get to Jessica’s house. The train ride took an hour and I got to Nerang at 5:00 PM and tried to think of a way to Ashmore. I got a Red Bull and some Pringles at the snack stand and then found a bus that takes me to Ashmore Road. It took about another 15 minutes to get there and the driver showed me directions to Warrungen Way. So, I started walking. This area is mostly residential and way off the beaten track. It was quite a bit of a walk. I got some chips and a Diet Coke at a local mini mart and then continued walking toward Jessica’s place. I crossed several roundabouts and then walked up a big hill and made it to her house. She wasn’t there, but I knew it was her house because I saw the pictures of her in the window. So, I had to wait outside and I sat on the curb. About 15 minutes later, she and her fiancé, Kyle pulled in. I was really excited to see her! We all settled in and I shared some of my pictures and she gave me some Diet Coke. I’ve been thinking since tonight that I’d really like to fly out to Uluru. I feel like I would be a complete idiot not to, since I’m here in Australia already. Kyle made me some sausages (hot dogs) and we just hung out. It’s my first time visiting a house in a foreign country, and also the first time visiting a friend in a far off land. I searched on the internet for flights to Alice Springs and Uluru, but they’re expensive! Like $600! I just might do it though. Jessica told me that I’m also the only friend to visit her from America, so it’s really special for both of us. Tomorrow, if Kyle finds me a push bike (bicycle), I might take a ride to the Queensland-New South Wales border. That would be an accomplishment! Kyle and Jessica went to bed before me. Well, I’m going to sleep as I have another special Aussie day tomorrow. Night!

Tags: friends

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.