Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Pickpocketed

ETHIOPIA | Thursday, 14 March 2013 | Views [1033]

When I got on the bus to Awasa earlier I noticed the side pocket on my pack was open, the strap had been cut, and my Nintendo 3DS was gone! It wasn't until I thought of a minibus ride earlier:

I got on a minibus to Bole and the front seat was vacant. The fare collector was messing with the door as if it was broken and asked me to fix the rubber lining on the door. Whilst I was distracted, someone cut the strap, unzipped it, and stole my 3DS. The fare collector didn't even collect my fare (even though I tried to give it to him), and told me to get out about 50 metres before Bole. He yelled out to a guy to direct me to the airport, but I was annoyed due to the fact the guy was playing with the door. On the bus to Awasa I was shocked at the fact my 3DS was gone; they left the games and the charger but took the console. It was my own damn fault because I could have left it at Mei's house but I didn't think to. The battery died whilst on the flight to Ethiopia and I stuck it in the side pocket and just sort of forgot about it. Basically these guys just got lucky because they wouldn't have known it was there, but they're unlucky because I wish them luck in charging it and I wish them luck in finding games for it. I haven't seen a single Nintendo game for sale anywhere in Ethiopia, and European 3DS games won't work with an American console. With all my travel experience I thought I pickpocket-proofed myself but I let my guard down.

As I'm here in Awasa I cried tonight, and it's extremely rare for me to cry whilst travelling (unless it's a tear of joy). I have absolutely nobody to talk to and it's raining cats and dogs as I sit in another bland hotel room. Last month I messaged a CSer but he never responded. In five days I leave for Istanbul but I really wish those days would fly by. Ethiopia has frustrated me to a point where I just want to leave! I was so angry about my 3DS being stolen that I went on Amazon.com tonight and ordered myself a new one; it'll be in my mailbox when I return to LA. Seriously I've had to deal with beggars, corrupt ticket officers in Lalibela, qat-chewing bus drivers, and now pickpocketing. There have been moments where I feel like I could spend six months here and then like today I'm just like "get me the hell out of here." Tonight I feel like the latter.

There's no way to be pickpocket-proof but the same rules apply. Don't carry valuables in side pockets, keep your money belt inside your shirt, and wear your pack in front of you on buses and in crowded places. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.