Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Australia Day, My Way

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 January 2015 | Views [612]

Happy Australia Day! Little do people know it's not Australia's independence day, but the anniversary of the landing of the First Fleet in 1788. For Australia Day I'd be the "walking flag" in the words of fellow busker Miranda. She's a Canadian circle act performer. For Australia Day I wrote my first interactive poem so my listeners could give a loud "oy oy oy" after I shout "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" On the "Love Bridge" with the padlocks I stood there reciting my poetry with all my heart. It's my favourite place in Melbourne to busk since there's a great view of Melbourne and I get the breeze above the Yarra. If it's windy and cold it's not much fun and my wireless microphone doesn't work here. If it's warm and sunny, it's the best place to busk! The loudest "oy oy oy" was shouted by a group of college students from Seattle. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl again, and I'll be sure to tune in next Sunday. They really enjoyed my poem and I shouted "Go Seahawks!"

Out of respect for the Indigenous Australians I wore my Aboriginal art T-shirt beneath my flag. Australia Day is "Invasion Day" to them. Tonight an Indigenous man approached me and said he appreciated my acknowledgement of them. I strongly feel one of these days the Indigenous and the rest of Australians will live in harmony, and that the process has barely begun. My Australia Day poem garnered enormous popularity tonight as did my get up of the Australian flag, two facial tattoos, and my Australia Day hat. 

As I got ready to board the train tonight I noticed a girl with blood all over her. She walked away from me initially when I asked if everything was alright but she asked me to call her mother. I did, and I quickly pointed out she needed some help. Our trains were going in the opposite direction and if I wasn't catching the train so late I would have ridden with her and made sure she got home safely. It turned out a few girls "bashed" her. It turned out the police and her mother were looking for her for two days! I'm not even a parent, but I can sort of imagine what they were going through. Courtney is only 15, and there is no way in hell my mother would have allowed me to put her through that! I wouldn't want to even face my mother after doing something like that. 

This is my first story in a long while, and a member of my audience got these photos of me and sent them. Once I have my camera back, which will be soon, I'll start writing more. 

With the exception of seeing Courtney hurt, it was a good, good night! Australia Day, yeah!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.