Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Bree-Spirited

USA | Monday, 16 September 2013 | Views [1043]

Over the course of my travels I've stayed with many lovely people and many lovely families. The other day, Brian and I pulled up to the home of Bree and her family with roses and a bottle of wine in hand. Bree is Brian's friend. Her younger sister is Alyssa, her mother is Bobbi, her father is Doug, and the family dog is Mia. We were welcomed with open arms and immediately treated like members of the family. Their beautiful home is in Woodinville, a rather rural section of the Seattle area and they have just about everything at their home: a pool table, foosball table, video games, exercise equipment, a drum set, and so forth in an area I call the "lounge" (Bobbi likes that term). Bobbi told us to "help ourselves" when it comes to food, tea, etc. and I don't even have to boil water for my tea; on their sink they have a spicket with boiling water that's tea- and coffee-ready. Their backyard is beautiful and there is greenery for as far as the eye can see. Bobbi and Doug immediately took interest in my travel stories and my upcoming documentary Fearless Journey. Doug works for Microsoft, Bobbi most recently worked at a carpet and rug store, and Bree and Alyssa both work at Tully's Coffee. Bree is vegan, gorgeous, and very natural-looking, and her affectionate nickname from me is "Bree-Spirited" and she's B-R-E-E just like "free." I like that! Alyssa is a couple of years younger with a gorgeous figure and very pretty dark hair. Here you see Alyssa to the left of me, all in black.

Bobbi has treated us so well that last night I told her that Wheaties was my favourite cereal, she said this morning "you know I picked up Wheaties last night." And that was after she picked up stuff for mojitos when I boldly proclaimed I can make the best mojitos on either side of the Caribbean (and damn was I right!). When Brian and I got in the other night she and Doug treated us to Thai food. Bree just received her B.A. in public affairs and is very active in charitable causes. Recently she went on a volunteer trip to India where she worked with children. She has expressed interest in organizing a benefit concert to raise money for Fearless Journey. Bobbi and Doug are both from Kansas and they describe living in Seattle as like "living in a big national park." For nearly two weeks, Bree and her family would continue to treat us like royalty. When Bobbi and Doug left on their Seattle-to-Denver road trip the day after my birthday it was sad to see them go. I know I'll visit Bree and family again! Next summer I'm hoping to finally do that hitchhiking trip from California to Alaska, and Bree and family would make a great stopping point for a few days. I can't think of a better city and especially a better family to visit and stay with! Bree and family, you are always friends to me and will forever be thankful for your hospitality.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.