Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Rock the Casma!

PERU | Monday, 24 September 2012 | Views [751]

We’d hummed and hawed so much over what to do and where to go next that by the time we left Huaraz we were on plan G!  In the end we jumped on a Yungay Express bus to Casma for Soles20 each and only a 4-hour ride.  It turned out to be another of those beautiful bus journeys up to a pass at 4600m and down, down to the coast at 0m!  Peru may be richer than many of its neighbours but the majority of its residents are still living a decidedly rural life.  Many of the homes are made of blocks made from mud and straw which are held together with an animal dung bashed concoction.  The roof is generally made up of corrugated metal sheets that are held down by rocks.

Casma turned out to be a very noisy little town with trucks, buses and mototaxis a plenty zipping up and down the one main road.  We checked into Hostal Victoria near the transport hub and were pleasantly surprised to be in a spotlessly clean, en-suite room for only Soles40 a night.  Went for a wander down said road but it didn’t take long to exhaust Casma’s lack of attractions – so why were we here?  Well, we’re now basically making our way towards Ecuador but wanted to take in a last bit of Peruvian culture and see the coast.  Only 5km out of Casma is the ancient archaeological site of Sechin dating back to around 1600BC making Machu Picchu look brand new.  Not a great deal is known about these ancient warriors and it’s not an extensive site; however, it was interesting enough to hold our attention for a good hour.  It’s amazing that people from so long ago managed to construct such vast fortresses and the pictures etched into the rocks were very detailed giving an insight into their lives.  We had the entire place to ourselves and it proved to be a cheap activity at only Soles5 each entrance fee and Soles10 return in a mototaxi.  They are a motorbike version of a tuc tuc in case you’re wondering.  There are real Bajaj tuc tucs over here too like those in India and Sri Lanka.

With Casma duly done and dusted it was time to move on to Huanchaco a beach resort near Trujillo.  There are buses on this route but the timetable is a bit irregular and the buses are often full so we decided to do this short hop in stages.  First of all we jumped in a shared minivan that for Soles5 each took us to the bus terminal in Chimbote.  From there we hopped on one of the many buses (Soles9) that ply the route to Trujillo where we finally jumped in a taxi (Soles18) to take us to Huanchaco.   Even though we changed modes of transport it was a quick enough journey along the coast.  We travelled through more of that desert interspersed with agricultural green valleys and tantalising glimpses of the Pacific Ocean – we were off to the seaside.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.