Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Cruising on the Santa Cruz trek

PERU | Saturday, 22 September 2012 | Views [1174]

This time our trek would take us to the Cordillera Blanca which we’d heard was particularly stunning.  By the time the bus was laden and we were all aboard we established that it was a group of 11 so in theory we should have 2 guides.  Not only did this not happen but we’d be meeting our guide at the beginning of the trail where he was saying goodbye to his previous group.  Not only was this very unfair on the guide and against Peruvian trekking guide rules but it meant we’d be doing the trek in the opposite direction.  Not that we were bothered about which way round we did the walk as we were sure it would be fantastic scenery no matter what.  Once again we were the oldest in the group but a couple weren’t too far behind us.  Plus with being so unhealthy recently we were the fattest and looked like the least capable.  Now we know we’re noticeably below standard at the moment but we knew this trek attracted lots of people who’ve never walked in mountains before.

The van journey to the start of the trek followed a scenic valley then we set off on a side track to Cashapampa at 2800m.  There was much faffing as mules were organised and our Soles65 a head entrance fee tickets were checked plus the van unloaded and repacked.  By 11.30am we put our first steps on the Santa Cruz trek where the path rose steadily alongside a brisk stream.  The sun was shining and we were warm enough to get down to our t-shirt layer.  Would the weather remain our friend for the entire trek?

Initially we had our guide down as a bit of a clown and this opinion didn’t change much over the 4 days.  However, there were times when he could be more sensible and try to read his customers more closely.  He didn’t have us down in the lead group before setting off which on looking at us is a fair analysis but he soon had to change his mind.  On watching our steady pace for the first uphill section of the walk he subsequently told us we would have to go in front.  He was happy with our sedate plod and could see that we had experience so wouldn’t push ourselves once we reached altitude.  Therefore we were free to go at our own pace and could carry on to the first campsite.  We duly did and it was lovely to feel like we were on a private trek but at the same time have the support team.  Judging from the paths we were on you could easily do this trek independently and simply hire a mule if you don’t fancy carrying all the heavier gear.  However going in a group means costs are shared and the 4-day trek only cost us US$120 each.  Plus it’s reassuring to know you’ll get to the right place before nightfall, your tent will be pitched and even more lazily someone will cook your food and boil your water.

The only time the path was quite tiring was when we had to walk through deep, loose sand making the going a little sluggish.  Or as Steve pointed out we weren’t aware we’d signed up for a mountain beach trek!  Other than that it was a very pleasant walk following the stream and surrounded by vertical cliffs.  The good weather remained with us all the way to camp but we’d been watching clouds gather at the head of the valley.  Our tent was up and we were changed and sorted out before a light drizzle set in.  If that pattern remains for the rest of the trek we’ll be very happy.  Just for the record it was 2 hours later before all 11 of our group reached camp. 

Our guide, Abel, definitely loves an audience and his tales are typically protracted and tall.  However the rest of the group are a nice bunch and conversation has flowed freely – there’s always tales of where you’ve been and travel tips to exchange. 

Day 2

We were woken by our tent being bashed and the outer zip being opened; a little out of order we thought and besides which we had our alarm clock.  It all turned out to be a build-up to Abel making a point about keeping everything right inside your tent to prevent robberies.  He took it all way too far when nearly an hour later four people were standing around with frozen feet revising their plans.  He’d whipped the boots when opening the tents so all was well but ……………… a bit out of order we thought.

That aside we had our early morning brew watching the sun’s rays glinting on the high peaks at the head of the valley.  It was a bit chilly but nothing like previous treks as we slowly gravitate towards the equator and winter moves into spring. The sun soon warmed us up and initially we fell in stride with the guide and actually got a sensible conversation out of him about ancient peoples of the area.  We’d been thinking of visiting some of the pre-Inca sites and were now eager to learn more.  Abel also explained the day’s route to us so we could see off at our own tortoise pace and wait for the hares to catch up later.

The walk initially was very easy as it was flat along the river to the first lake.  From there we took a slight detour to a viewpoint but to be honest it was lovely everywhere you looked.  The path then skirted along the edge of the lake until we reached a rocky, sandy area where there used to be a second lake.  Last year a huge landslide rumbled down a side valley and promptly filled in the lake; the power of nature never ceases to amaze.  We crossed a bridge over the stream that flows over the absent lake and entered an area of stunted trees.  We could see a zig zag path and knew we had to look out for such a feature to take us to a second viewpoint.  However, the start of the path wasn’t obvious and we reached this section way earlier than the time we’d been predicted.

So we carried on along the more obvious path and on rounding a bend could see two sets of impressive mountains and a path higher up the slope.  We began to wonder if we’d missed the side track but the timings were way off and we were now entering the upper valley.  Instead of cutting across the flat grassland we took the path on the foot of the nearest slope and kept our eyes peeled for the zig zag path.  A little further on we could see a sign that clearly indicated that the area is regularly used as a campsite.  So with no obvious zig zag path to clamber up we crossed over the boggy, stream riddled valley to the campsite.

It wasn’t even 11am; could this really be the second camp?  The signboard name looked familiar enough and the altitude of 4250m was spot on.  Oh look!  Here comes the mules; we’ve never reached camp before the support team but I suppose they thought they had plenty of time as we’d all be on a side path.  Anyway we promptly turned round and set off back down the valley where within a couple of minutes we met our chef.  Luckily he used lots of hand gestures when explaining which way we should go and of course we’d already seen it all.  The path steadily worked its way up the side of the mountain and met up with the top of the zig zag path we’d shunned earlier.  Here we met up with the rest of our group who were stunned that we were behind them.  They were even more surprised on hearing that we’d already been to camp and doubled back.  At least we could tell them that camp was in another cracking spot and that all the gear had arrived!

So our huge detour hadn’t really put us behind schedule and we continued on a very pleasant path up this valley.  There are of course numerous high peaks in the area over 5000m and some of them top the 6000m mark.  They’re generally technical climbs but of course plenty of people love that challenge.  We satisfied ourselves with striking off on a short uphill path to the edge of a glacial lake.  I don’t just mean the water was somewhat nippy – not that we went in to testify to the temperature!  No, one of the glaciers actually reaches down to the lake and there were a couple of mini icebergs floating around.  It was a most impressive sight and we were extremely glad we’d doubled back.  We even witnessed a minor avalanche as we were tucking into our packed lunch.  The chill wind blowing down the glacier and off the lake meant we didn’t hang around for the allotted hour’s break.  We were back up to about 4500m and some of the group were feeling the effects of altitude so needed some time to rest.

On retracing our steps we were soon back in the sheltered valley and feeling warmer. As we were plodding our way along one of the more dominant peaks fully cleared and we got great views of the mountain that is supposedly used on Paramount Pictures’ logo.  We can’t verify this information so take a gander at the photo and decide for yourselves.  As we approached camp at Taullipampa (4250m) the third glacier glad mountain range of the valley came into view.  Obviously we’d already seen this but the tops were now perfectly clear and it was great to be able to see 3 fantastic mountain ranges while standing in the same spot.  All told we’d walked a quite a long way today and as we were getting changed and putting on extra layers the clouds gathered.  Again the rain only made a slight pitter patter on the canvas but the rumbles of thunder were more worrying.

Today’s nonsense talk revolved around some scientists in Lima predicting there’d be an earthquake the following night. How on earth this has been decided I don’t know as all other earthquakes round the world seem to catch folk unawares.  Anyway it was all talk about what to do if there’s an avalanche / landslide blah, blah.  Then the guide tried to get us all to sing so Steve and I legged it back to our tent.  I only sing for 3 year olds where I get paid for such behaviour and besides we came to trek and enjoy the mountain scenery so don’t need enforced entertainment.

Day 3

We were up early as instructed but there was little movement in the campsite so we had to wait a while for a warm brew.  Abel tried one wearing very thin joke too many this morning and I in particular made it clear that we weren’t impressed.  He then tried to infer that Steve was in the wrong and being the one with the wrong attitude but why should we be treated like children and accept it?  Suffice it to say we didn’t set off in the best of moods but chatting with some of the others soon cheered us up.  We’d decided that it would be prudent to stick with the group today to prevent us getting too cold while waiting at the top of the pass – obviously we were going to get there first!!  Then we were told we were to do just that so we shuffled along in a group.  To be fair the pace wasn’t too slow (our 5000m+ pace!) considering most of the group were trekking for the first time at altitude.

It was noticeable chilly when we set off and clouds shrouded most of the high peaks.  As the sun rose the clouds gradually lifted and it was a very pleasant walk up to the top of the Punta Union pass at 4750m.  The views looking back down the valley we’d spent the previous two days walking up were lovely but cloud still hung to the very tops.  On looking over the other side of the pass we were dismayed to see cloud at much lower levels.  Fortunately it wasn’t dense and therefore not raining but unfortunately it meant we couldn’t do the alternative ridge route down the other side.  I’d already predicted that we wouldn’t be doing so as only Steve and I and one other lad had voted for this the previous evening.

Still the path down the other side was clear so we were free to go at our own pace.  We left the glacier clad peaks behind and entered a valley of vertical, sharp edge rocks.  The weather improved but it never got roasting hot and we were all just glad that it wasn’t raining.  As we reached the valley floor the path meandered along a river and we entered a beautiful wooded area.  There was lots of green spongy moss, red peeling bark, colourful flowers and birds flitting about.  It made for a lovely end to the day’s walk.

Our little breakaway group of four were first to reach camp Huaripampa at 3700m which was bathed in sunlight.  A gaggle of locals saw us arrive and promptly set up shop selling woolly hats, pop and oh no; beer!  It didn’t take long for us three Brits to crumble and buy a slightly over-priced beverage.  Well – the sun was shining bright, we were in a cracking spot and most of the trekking was done.  Unfortunately we’d not long since popped open the bottle tops when the clouds and the rain came rolling in.  We simple huddled up inside a tent and waited for it to pass.  Rain, shine, rain, shine became the set pattern for the remainder of the afternoon.  By nightfall the wind had picked up and it was raining steadily.  To say the tents weren’t the best is an understatement and it was a case of wait and see how waterproof they were.  One lad’s tent proper leaked but he simply shrugged his shoulders and reminded himself that you get what you pay for.  The trek was very cheap so you have to expect corners to be cut and gear not replaced as regularly as it should be.

To be honest I feel we’d been lucky to do the bulk of the trekking in the dry but the change in elements helped us to decide what our next steps should be.  We’d love to do the much longer Huayhuash trek but we’re now seriously pushing our luck with the weather and besides there are other things to do and see.

Day 4

We were up much later today as there was just a short walk to meet up with the van and most people appreciate the lie-in following the hike up to the pass the previous day.  In fact the end of the trail only took a couple of hours and it basically linked hamlets and villages.  It’s always interesting to see the rural way of life plus we were still within the Cordillera Blanca which had proved to be as stunning as we’d been led to believe.  To be honest this trek could very easily be done in 3 days and I wish we’d known that was an option.

Abel finally learnt to read the group a bit better and to treat us differently to match our likes and character.  It made for a much nicer feeling within the group and ended up parting on good terms.  We had an hour to wait for our transport to arrive and since the only benches were plonked outside the local pub-cum-shop-cum-restaurant you can guess what happened!  Yet again only the 3 Brits tucked into a beer but to be fair to us we only had one each.  We also finally tracked down a bowl of local food whose principle ingredient was beans.  In the end it turned out to be basically a poor-man’s / vegetarian’s ceviche with the added onions, tomatoes and sweet corn marinated in lime juice and pepper – yum.

It took about 4 hours to drive back to Huaraz but the journey was spectacular.  I know I’ve said it before but how do they put in roads when the valley sides are virtually vertical?  As we crested the top of the pass we were greeted with a fantastic vista of a narrow V shaped valley with glacier topped peaks, a zig zag road and two stunning blue lakes.  The Andes certainly haven’t let us down.

Back in Huaraz Steve quickly tracked down a room for the night that ticked all the boxes.  Hostal Concorde offered clean, simple doubles with en-suite, wifi and cable TV for Soles50 a night.  It was fantastic to feel squeaky clean again before going out to meet up with the others for a beer or three and some fodder.  The next morning saw us watching Liverpool vs Man U and City vs Arsenal – hmm, maybe if we stop watching our teams might start winning!

Travel Tip: Galaxia Expeditions was very cheap and you do get what you pay for, the mountains are the same no matter how much you pay.  http://www.galaxia-expeditions.com/html/nosotros_ingles.htm

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.