Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Back in the Andes in Huaraz

PERU | Tuesday, 18 September 2012 | Views [527] | Comments [1]

We awoke to find it not just cloudy but drizzling too – it was time to move away from the city and hope the weather was better in the mountains.  Movil Tours bus isn’t as posh as some of the other luxury coaches but it’s a step up from Peru bus so a good mid-range travel option.  It took us well over an hour for the bus to be spat out of the city and get clear of the suburbs.  We were back into the desert and following the coast where it was difficult to discern sea from sky in the mist.  For the first 4 hours we continued north along the Panamericana but following a lunch stop at Barranca we turned off and headed towards the Cordillera Blanca.

As we wound our way towards and into the mountains the scenery and weather simultaneously improved.  We’d enjoyed the coastal route south of and to Paracas but from there we’d found it somewhat dreary and dirty.  We were looking forward to being back in The Andes.  The rugged hillsides were covered in hardy grasses and studded with cacti while the valley we were following was displaying a myriad of greens made up from trees, shrubs, orchards and crops.  The sun was shining and we were once again blessed with clear blue skies making it a most enjoyable leg of the journey.

As we climbed up to a pass at 4100m we were reunited with grey skies and it was clearly raining in the distance – ah, the direction we were headed in.  We know we’re chasing the tail end of the trekking season so we’ll just have to hope for the best.  We subsequently met up with said precipitation but on a positive note we were back in the realms of snow and glacier laden peaks.  The road meandered its way across an area of altiplano before gradually easing its way down to Huaraz at 3100m.  It was still cloudy when we reached our final destination so town looked even grimmer than we’d expected it to.

Poor old Huaraz has been flattened by earthquakes and smothered by landslides over the years so it’s very much a functional town and is a work in progress.  Once you get your head around that it’s not such a bad little place and of course we’re only here for the trekking opportunities.  We’d reserved a room in Caroline Lodging  http://carolinelodging.com/

which is okay but has rested on its laurels and should / could be much better.  The rooms in the new annex are nice and clean but there are no mountain views and the original older building is looking somewhat worn.

We’ve risen to blue skies this morning and could see snow-capped peaks while we were tucking into our included breakfast up on the roof.  Time to go and find out about treks and hope this improved weather remains with us over the next 4 / 5 days.

 

Comments

1

Hey up! Lost ya last night, and then, lost your card, Pisco o'clock. Not a good time for organisational things. Hope all OK, hope you get this, email me :) Or via the andean trails site. Didnae get to say goodbye, so, fare thee well, and hope to see or hear from you soon. I feel terrible today, beer? No thanks. Good job I am going to the brewers then, haha. x Tom

  Tom Sep 24, 2012 2:27 AM

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.