Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Time Out in Huanchaco

PERU | Thursday, 27 September 2012 | Views [686]

On arriving in Huanchaco yesterday afternoon we checked into the excellent Hostal Naylamp   which feels like a real treat.  The rooms are spacious, spotless and with 2 windows wonderfully bright and airy.  We splashed out on a slightly more expensive upper room (Soles60) so we have an ocean view and a balcony plus the usual cable TV and free wi-fi.  The hostal also has lots of comfy seating areas, bar, restaurant, laundry facilities and small kitchen which we plan to use.  Before we had time to get supplies organised we splashed out and actually paid for our breakfast.  It was good value but the main reason I’m telling you this is so that I can sneak in the fact that this is another place with a tortoise roaming around.  While we were having our tea and toast it wandered over and decided to plonk itself under our table – it’s not every day you play footsie with a reptile.

We haven’t done much in a touristy sense since getting here as we’ve hit that time where we need to catch up on chores.  Enjoying yourself is all very well but knickers need to be washed!  Plus if I didn’t keep up to date with this journal you wouldn’t know where we were or what we’d been up to.  So what have we done?

Wandered the length and breadth of town in a matter of minutes.  It’s lovely and peaceful here as a few hundred meters along from our guesthouse it is literally the end of the road.  The beach is no great shakes as it’s where the desert meets the ocean so the sand has a decidedly industrial look and feel to it.  Each morning we’ve been here we’ve looked out at grey seas and skies; this sea fret moves away by the afternoon leaving blue skies but you’ve already been put off the idea of taking a dip.  It may be warm once the sun is out but it’s only just spring here so the water is very cold.  However, it’s lovely listening to the waves crashing in but the place attracts trainee surfers.  Luckily it’s off-season so there aren’t too many surfer dudes around but there’s a smattering trying out the waves and a gaggle of twizzlers for us to gawp and chuckle at.

Obviously we’ve not done nothing for the last 3 days and in fact the main reason why we decided to stop along this part of the coast was to take in some more of those lost cities.  Chan Chan was the place we were aware of before getting here but we passed it on the bus yesterday and instantly decided it wasn’t worth going back to.  Luckily there are loads of recently rediscovered settlements to take a gander at so we hopped on and off various local jalopies and made our way to Huacas del Sol y de la Luna.  These sun and moon temples and the residential area in between have been lost to the desert for many a long year.  It’s very easy to see how the buildings could be engulfed through sand storms, landslides and earthquakes.  To some extent this has saved much of what was built over 2000 years ago and the archaeologists have managed to get to the site before too many grave robbers have pillaged it.

Near the temples is a modern, well laid out and extremely informative museum with descriptions in Spanish and English.  To enter you pay an extra Soles3 with the temple complex costing Soles10.  We were all ready to pay but there was no one in the ticket office and with someone lurking by the museum entrance we thought you had to pay there instead.  There was all manner of confusion in the doorway as a large school party were just leaving and bizarrely a whole whack of beauty pageant contestants.  In the melee we simply walked in, read and looked at everything, learnt loads about the Moche peoples and left with our Soles in our pocket.  Believe me we’d have happily paid as it was one of the best museums we’ve been to in years and they deserve the funds so they can excavate more of the area.

Speaking of which; the main temple very much resembles a building site so we were glad we hadn’t paid for the entrance and chose to give it a miss.  This may not have been the right choice but we knew there were 3 double decker busloads of school kids over there.  Besides which the smaller temple isn’t cordoned off and we knew we had to walk right past it to get some manner of transport back to town so we had a quick look on the way past.  All-in-all a very cheap day out!

There are minivans zipping around all the time so we were soon back in the main town of Trujillo.  This is a sizable conurbation and we were glad we’d opted to stay at the beach instead.  The centre of town is very pleasant with its large, open square and brightly painted colonial buildings by the dozen.  We were peckish so headed for the market to see what local tasty treats we could find.  Most places were offering menu of the day which is always excellent value but way more than we wanted to eat in the middle of the day.  Besides which we had provisions for cooking our own tea that night.  We finally got round to trying our first tamale which was okay but a bit bland and not particularly exciting so we went in search of something else.  Just outside the market there were a couple of locals’ restaurants whose speciality was turkey butties – that’ll do nicely.  Mighty tasty they were too.

Once we’d tracked down a Mobil Tours bus ticket agent and purchased tickets for our onwards journey to Chachapoyas tomorrow it was time to return to Huanchaco.  In among our catching up with chores and chilling we’ve changed our travel plans quite considerably.  We had intended to go straight up the coast and cross over into Ecuador via Tumbes but we’ve now decided to cut back inland and use the Zumba border crossing.  The coast was nice up to Paracas but it’s become increasingly dull as we’ve travelled north and with The Andes having been stunning at every turn it made sense to get back into them there mountains.  Right then – I’d best get the bags packed.

Travel Tip: Naylamp is a great place to stay in Huanchaco.

http://www.hostalnaylamp.com/enter.html

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.