Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Coasting Along from Arequipa to Paracas

PERU | Thursday, 13 September 2012 | Views [523]

Oltursa buses turned out to be excellent and to be honest the whole set up more closely resembled catching a plane.  Our luggage was checked in, hand baggage was given a cursory security check, passports were studied and once we were on board we had blankets, pillows and piped music.  There were staff to greet us on board and on setting off a bus features and safety video was shown.  Things got better as the steward brought round a bite of breakfast and more importantly a brew.  In fact we got fed 3 times by the time we’d disembarked and had taken advantage of the free wi-fi service.  Does it all sound too good to be true?  The drawback was we couldn’t choose to not watch the films and were subjected to 5 back to back dreadful, noisy offerings by the end of the journey.

We soon left the city behind and immediately entered a desert type landscape with little huts dotted around.  I’ve subsequently learnt that we spent the bulk of the day travelling through the world’s driest desert; Atacama.  No the wonder we travelled several hundred kilometres without spying a blade of grass or drop of water.  That may sound like a boring vista for 12 hours but it proved to be a fascinating landscape.  Occasionally we passed cactus plantations where people were harvesting cochineal beetles.  As we dropped down from a pass in the high desert mountains we crested a hill and were presented with a lush river fed valley.  This green agricultural area contrasted so sharply with the grey and beige sandy, rocky hillsides that it looked almost artificial.

At times the Panamericana Highway on which we were travelling literally blasted its way through the mountains.  The tunnels we went through certainly weren’t designed for a coach to meet up with a wagon part way and anything taller than our vehicle was destined to get stuck.  Unbelievably for the first few hours we could still discern snow-capped peaks through the dusty haze.  The road then sliced through a huge, flat area of sand that was utterly devoid of life.  This desert stretched right to the coast and merged with the sand dunes along the edge of the Pacific Ocean.  We dropped down to a shabby seaside town where the sea and the skies were grey with the waves pounding in.  Typical; the first time we’ve seen the sea in South America and it’s the first time we’ve had cloudy skies.

As we progressed the weather improved with blue skies and vultures lining the way.  I’m not kidding there were hundreds of them and other than scavenging rubbish dumps we can only assume they’re waiting to see what it deposited on the beach.  Looking down on the ocean from our cliff to vantage point it was easy to imagine animals being dashed upon the rocks.  The road then moved inland slightly and straightened out but we were still travelling through desert.  They say the world is over-populated but by the end of the day we’d passed through several hundreds of kilometres worth of emptiness.  There was the odd isolated community but if you don’t mine, farm or fish you’re going hungry.  The only splashes of colour in this predominantly grey landscape were from rubbish lining the edge of the road and the odd crucifix marking the spot where someone met their maker.  Or, alternatively; regular reminders that if you drive recklessly you’re liable to come a cropper.

We passed through Nazca famed for its lines in the desert and a place where we’d originally planned to stop.  I’m sure seeing the formations would have been a great experience but the 20min flights are very expensive.  We saw a bit of one on the way past so tick, done that!  We reached Paracas 12 ½ hours after leaving Arequipa but since we’d been so comfortable it didn’t seem like such a long journey.  It looked like a nice little place but it was too late to explore.  We checked into El Amigo Hostal which has developed from the backpacker place in our Lonely Planet to scoring 2 stars.  At Soles60 a night its great value so we decided to go for it as we’ve a feeling the place we’ve booked in Lima will be much more basic.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.