Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Spotting Wildlife at the 'Poor Man's Galapagos'

PERU | Friday, 14 September 2012 | Views [2148]

So what brought us to Paracas?  Islas Ballestas: or as it is commonly referred to a poor man’s Galapagos.  Yes, I know we’re booked on the real tour but that’s not for another month so we thought we get a taster.  We couldn’t believe how many people were lined up and boarding boats that each hold about 50 passengers.  It was all well organised and once we set off it didn’t seem like there were hundreds of people all battling for the same vantage point.

The islands are quite close to the mainland so it only took about 20mins to the nearest biggest island where we saw hundreds of Peruvian pelicans.  We were once again glad we’d not forked out for the Nazca lines as there was a huge geoglyph on the hillside.  As with other designs in the area no one knows who put it there or why but they are impressive none-the-less.  We then continued for a further 10mins to a group of smaller islands with seals and sea lions bobbing up along the way.  We saw many more of these marine mammals and they were the most active we’ve ever observed.  Many fur seals had already hauled themselves out of the swell and found a comfortable place for the day but some were still trying to find a good perch.  The heftier sea lions have got the right idea and have bagged the pebbly beaches!

The rocky islands are home to thousands (and I’m not exaggerating) of sea birds with Peruvian boobies being the most numerous followed by cormorants, gulls, terns and a selection of others we can’t name.  It was brilliant watching them flying in, greeting each other, diving for fish and generally going about their business.  I thought the Farne Islands (off the Northumbrian coast) were great but I’ve never seen such huge colonies of birds before.  As cute as Geordie puffins are – you can’t beat seeing penguins; Humboldt penguins in this case.  Unfortunately there weren’t very many and they were in an area where it was difficult for the boat to be held for any length of time but at least we got to see them.

The trip lasts two hours and we would have been very happy to spend much longer there but at least the birds and animals only have to put up with humans for a short time.  As well as the spectacle of seeing so many birds amassed in one area the rocky islands themselves are worth viewing.  The contrast of the guano iced red rocks, frothy white waves and clear turquoise seas was lovely; along with the jagged shapes of the islands, coves and caves.  A cracking trip and well worth the US$15 a head especially as the islands are now more carefully protected with the guano extraction being closely monitored.

That wasn’t to be the end of the day’s activities as we’d also signed up for the afternoon jaunt to Reserva Nacional Paracas which was where I learnt we’d been in the Atacama Desert.  It was one of those trips where you all troop out of the bus, listen to the guide and move on to the next sight but for once it was enjoyable and interesting.  The museum shows an informative video about the national park and includes some lovely images – it’s a shame the English translation is so bad.  You then have about 20mins to look at the museum’s exhibits and information boards (in Spanish and English) that are excellent and in fact we didn’t have enough time to take it all in.  We were amazed that it was good enough that we would want to read everything.

From there we drove across the desert to two lookout points; the Cathedral and La Playa but before we walked up to them our guide explained a little more about the desert.  Yes there is sand, out there as you would imagine, but in actual fact much of it is rock or only a shallow layer of fine gravel above a base layer.  The pinks and reds are caused by iron oxide deposits with the yellows having something to do with when the area was covered by the ocean.  The road we were driving on was made from very low grade, cheap, hard salt; at a mere couple of dollars per tonne this is not the stuff you’re going to find in your salt cellar.

The Cathedral archway actually collapsed during the 2001 earthquake but the rock stacks that are left are still worth viewing and the birds love them too. We then moved on to another cliff top view point where the contrast of the red rocks, yellow sand and blue seas is most intense. To be honest we found the whole coastline fantastic with dramatic coloured cliffs and powerful waves crashing in – Great Ocean Road, Australia eat your heart out!  Plus it was great just to be standing in and learning more about one of the world’s most famous deserts.

The last port of call was an hour long lunch stop but we’d taken some snacks as we suspected this would be a bit of a tourist trap.  As soon as we got out of the bus we were pounce upon by menu flappers and refused to get hassled into a restaurant.  Instead we walked up to the headland where we’d been told dolphins sometimes swim alongside the fishing boats.  We didn’t see any but enjoyed looking down on boobies, gulls and vultures swooping past and a few more seals put in an appearance.  Plus we saw a lizard basking on the rocks.

Our admittedly out of date Lonely Planet had described the park as ‘less than interesting’ so our expectations had been low.  However, we enjoyed it as the parks department have organised things well and the informative guides and museum mean you learn something too.  The area is now being protected with designated roads and paths and sand boarding and dune buggying have been banned.  Local people are still able to fish the oceans but permits and quotas are tightly controlled leaving space for traditional jobs and ecotourism to coexist.

To round off a great day we decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal and Steve finally got to tuck into a plate of ceviche.  The restaurants on the front may be in a good setting but they are much more expensive than those just one street back.  Paracas is a lovely, quiet little town but even though we were down to sea level it was still fleece wearing chilly at night.  There must be somewhere its warm day and night – we’ll keep moving towards the equator and see what we find.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.