Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Enjoying a Condor Moment in the Colca Canyon

PERU | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 | Views [485]

We were up at 2.30am for a 3 o’clock start; that can’t be classed as early morning surely it’s the middle of the night!  We drove for about 3 hours to Chivay (3600m) where our tickets for Valle del Colca where purchased and breakfast consumed.  It’s amazing how much Steve has to do these days before he’s had a brew inside him! 

Another hour or so down the road we stopped at Cruz del Condor where the world’s largest raptor puts in a daily appearance.  We had heard that the vultures are fed and feared it might be a circus act but were pleasantly surprised.  Yes there were lots of people there (we now knew why Arequipa was so quiet – they were all in the canyon area!) but from what we experienced everyone respected these magnificent birds.  They really are majestic and it was wonderful to watch them gliding up the valley on the early morning thermals.  I think in the 45mins (not long enough) we were there we only saw 2 half-hearted wing beats take place.  Just as our time was up a pair we’d been watching for a while soared a matter of a couple of meters above our heads.  What a fantastic start to our little side trip from Arequipa.

Not long after that we bid farewell to the van and started our trek into Colca Canyon which we believe to be the second deepest in the world. The deepest is supposedly in this area of Peru too but I know Mexico like to lay claim to some records and of course we all know about the Grand Canyon.  We wanted to do this tour as we expected to see something very unique i.e. a canyon.  Unfortunately we weren’t bowled over by what we saw leading us to ask the question; “What is the difference between a canyon and a gorge?”  We’ve been in many a gorge over the years with Tiger Leaping in China and Taroko in Taiwan springing instantly to mind plus we’ve seen and trekked in many a deep, steep sided valley.  We really couldn’t see what was so different here and was it really 3000m deep?

All that aside we were once again in a fabulous setting and were looking forward to walking into and subsequently out of the canyon / gorge / valley – have a look at the photos and you choose!  Our guide, Veronica, started by explaining a little about the history of the area and we discovered that people have lived and thrived here since pre-Inca times.  In fact the ancient crop terracing and irrigation systems are still functional and used to this day.  Which once again begs the question why people don’t employ this technique in newly developed parts of the country?  We could also clearly see the old trade routes climbing up and over into neighbouring valleys and it must have been tough work swapping your spuds.

For us the path wound down, down for 6kms to a bridge over the river then we walked up a little way to San Juan where we stopped for lunch.  Following the break we walked through the village and back down to the river which we crossed again.  There was a short uphill section to take us to a path linking the villages and our route for that afternoon’s walk.  It was lovely to get so much variety from a shortish day’s trek. We were once again introduced to cochineal beetles and leant that Peru is one of the world’s key exporters of the red dye the insects produce.  We continued along through a couple of more villages before descending to Sangalle; a purpose built village for Colca Canyon trekkers. 

The place we stayed in was actually quite extensive with very basic rooms – like a bed in an animal shed style room – but somehow very appealing.  The main focus of all the places to stay is a pool fed by the river and of course Steve couldn’t resist a dip.  I remained dry and subsequently the warmer of the two of us – even though we’d dropped quite a way it was still chilly once the sun went to bed.  The village really is an oasis of green with palm trees (introduced?) set amongst crimson, yellow and orange canyon walls.  On looking up we spotted a couple of condors gliding way above our heads.  A great day’s walk; lovely scenery and magnificent raptors thrown in for good measure.

DAY 2

A lie in today – up at 4.30am for a 5 bells start!  Since we’d worn out our guide yesterday on the easy downhill stretch we didn’t expect any mad dashes back out of the canyon.  After shuffling behind her for an hour once she decided she needed a rest we decided to carry on.  An hour later we were at the top but had to wait about 45mins for the others to catch up.  Luckily the sun was up so with fleeces on we didn’t get too cold.  It has been a treat not being cold all the time since reaching Arequipa.  Besides we had glorious weather again so it was a pleasure waiting looking at the stunning scenery.  Although we’d ascended about 1000m from the river in the floor of the valley the zig zag path made the going relatively easy.  Plus we weren’t hiking at altitude like we had been in the mountain ranges.

We were given a good breakfast in Cabanaconde (3290m) before getting into the van for the ‘to trip’ part of the day.  We spotted a condor on the way back down the road but disappointingly didn’t stop at the lookout point again.  The first stop was at a mirador to take in the pre-Inca terracing and irrigation systems.  It’s still amazes me that this proven form of soil erosion prevention and water retention isn’t used in modern Peruvian farming.  The next stop was only for 15mins in a village to look at the outside of their pretty little church, not buy any souvenirs and refuse to have our photo taken with a huge raptor.  I don’t mind people in traditional clothing with domesticated animals such as llama and alpaca but wild animals should be left alone.

Finally we stopped in Chivay for an hour for lunch although we all shunned the Soles25 a head buffet and wandered down to the market area of town.  Luckily the groups had been split into those who were and were not interested in the hot springs.  You know which bus we were on and it meant that we’d get back to Arequipa an hour or so earlier.  Okay so it turned out not to be the last stop as we took in another mirador.  To be fair it was well worth braving the bracing breeze to take in the Mirador Vocanos de los Andes.  When we’d driven up here yesterday morning it was still dark so we had no idea that we’d climbed to 4900m and were travelling through an altiplano area.  It was great watching the scenery change with views stretching for miles and miles.  We were also lucky enough to see one of the falcons soaring wild and free above us.  I’d just mentioned that we were in perfect vicuna territory when we started spotting groups of said camelids.  In all we must have seen about 40 so it’s good to think that our steep Soles70 each entrance fee is going towards protecting this desolate yet delicate environment.

Once again we had great views and glorious blue skies looking down into the valleys and up to glacier topped peaks.  Sound familiar?  We really have found sensational mountain ranges after dramatic valleys and picturesque colonial towns galore.  I wonder what the coast looks like; cue bus to Paracas in the morning.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.