Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Having a Sweet Time in Sucre

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 4 August 2012 | Views [746]

Day 1

Before exploring Sucre we had a few chores to do; like tracking down a post box in which to deposit the post cards we’d been carrying around for 10 days and buying a bus ticket to La Paz.  We were feeling peckish so headed towards the market where we’d heard you could get the best chorizo sausage butties in the whole of Bolivia.  As you know we’ve been to many a market but this one really grabbed our attention and we had a great time exploring all its nooks and crannies.  Not only was there lots of fresh food available but some stalls resembled mini supermarkets and others catered for all manner of household needs. 

We tracked down the butty stall and found that the locals have every right to be proud of their bangers.  We washed it down with a fresh fruit juice where even we didn’t recognise all the fruits on offer.  Behind us were the potato sellers – you’ve never seen such bags of spuds and as for the number of varieties….  Apparently there are up to 200 types in this part of the world and judging by the fact that every meal seems to have to consist of spud in some shape or form we’re likely to get round to trying quite a number.

We then wandered around the main streets in the centre of Sucre which were very pretty with their old buildings and squares.  We decided to walk uphill to see if we could find a view over-looking the city and found ourselves in the Recoletta area.  Here we found the miraflores and very pleasant the view was but the biggest treat was we’d been able to walk around in t-shirt sleeves and trainers.  Being within the realms of 2000m and no arctic blast to contend with the place felt positively tropical!

Day 2

The group for today’s side trip all gathered at the bar in time and we were soon off, out of Sucre and into the surrounding mountains.  In fact we drove for about 1½ hours and climbed up to Chataquila (4100m), where we would start our downhill walk along an old Inca trail.  We descended into a valley surrounded by spectacular scenery with the highest density of plants and trees we’d seen plus they were the greenest.  There was definitely a feel of spring in the air and dotted along the path were many colourful flowers.  Although the walk was only a stroll it was very enjoyable as once again we found ourselves in nice company.  It proved to be quite a popular walk so we didn’t see any animals but there were plenty of birds fluttering around and we’re sure we got our first glimpse of a large hummingbird.

The walk ended in the lovely little village of Chauncha and the lady who owned the Locots bar through which we’d booked the walk had a small hotel there.  We were all invited inside to use the facilities and have a good look around then she declared that lunch was ready.  We hadn’t expected this as we’d opted for the lunch box option that was still in our bag.  By this point we realised that most of the group knew each other and we’d basically paid to tag along on a jaunt they had planned anyway.  It was very kind of her to include us in lunch, which was yummy, and served on terracotta crockery in her lovely dining room.  We’ve told her she really needs to get the place on the internet we’re sure people would love to chill out there for a few days and go trekking in the surrounding mountains.  In fact it was just the sort of place that Steve and I would be proud to call ours.

We felt the day had been very good value at Bob 150 a head and it nicely filled in our day instead of sitting in Sucre twiddling our thumbs waiting for the night bus to La Paz.  It’s very easy to see why people spend longer than they originally planned in Sucre as it is a lovely town, with very friendly people and plenty to do in the area.  Unfortunately we had a hotel and treks booked in the capital or we would have been tempted to linger.

http://www.bolivia-online.net/en/sucre/136/locots-caf%C3%A9-aventura-sucre-bolivia

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.