Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Uyuni to Sucre

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 2 August 2012 | Views [3630]

Uyuni

Our first impressions of Uyuni was it was a shabby frontier town but once we’d found somewhere to stay and had a bit of a wander it grew on us.  We checked into Kori Wasi Hostel which had small, windowless, clean en suite rooms that were good value at about US$15 a night.  They’re gradually paving the streets and are putting in lots of seats which make good sun soaking, people watching spots.  To be honest that was all we did until it was time for tea and we splashed out on a pizza and bottle of red in Wiphala Restaurant (no gringos and no 80’s music!) to celebrate our first proper trip of the year out.

Bus to Sucre

We’d booked seats with Linea Emperador and the bus was clean, comfortable, plenty of leg room and set off pretty much on time.  As soon as we left town we joined a tarmac road that is so new the work gangs are still putting in the finishing touches.  In fact the tarmac lasted all the way to Potosi and then on to Sucre.  We very soon started climbing and it was lovely looking back down over the salt flats.  Once over the first ridge we left the South West corner of Bolivia behind and started looking forward to our next destination.  The road then plateaued out and we passed through llama farming territory.

The landscape varied from as wild and barren as areas we’d been in previously to significantly greener areas.  There was even the odd tree dotted around and the clumps of grass that grow in a haystack formation were much bigger and bushier.  To our surprise and delight we spotted a few more groups of vicuna along the way but after a couple of hours didn’t see any more.  However, it supports my theory that this is the best area to find them in the wild.

The local ladies carry bundles on their backs tied up with blanket sized pieces of brightly coloured cloth.  Babies and infants are carried the same way too – the poor things must feel seasick by the time they’ve been slung around!  The costume of choice in these parts is layer upon layer of knee length skirts in a multitude of colours, thick stockings, a brightly coloured shawl and topped off with a hat.  A bowler perched deportment lesson style is the top choice but any hat will do.  By the way we noticed the bundles made good seats on busy buses but you’d need to remember you weren’t carrying anything living or fragile before parking your bum.

Anyway our journey continued with us climbing up and over ridge after ridge past lots of valleys with a smattering of hamlets and villages along the way.  The frequency with which we saw deserted and derelict buildings made us wonder if the people live a semi-nomadic life.  Once the natural resources or farming opportunities have been exhausted they abandon the area for pastures new.  There’s an ample supply of natural building resources around for this to be possible.

We drove through white sandy deserts and alongside narrow, shallow canyons.  I know I’ve already said it but this country really does have and incredible natural diversity and constantly presents you with new vistas to admire.  We arrived in Potosi at around 3pm where we had to change onto a connecting bus with the same company.  In fact we already had the tickets so didn’t anticipate too long a break.  Oh how wrong we were – 2 ½ hours later, having had to sit in a brand new but lacking in facilities bus station, we final got on our connecting bus.

Why is it that when one things goes wrong there always seems to be a domino effect?  Well, following the extended wait for the bus this is just what happened.  We arrived in Sucre much later than we’d anticipated so of course it was already dark and the bus didn’t drop us in the terminal.  Luckily we spied the Youth Hostel sign so we had a good idea where we were and went to get a room.  Hmm, they only had dorm rooms left – do we look 18?!  So after consulting the Lonely Planet we flagged down a taxi to take us to Hostel Sucre.  Not only did the taxi driver rip us off (not substantially but enough to add to our frustration) the lady in the hostel looked at me like she’d just trod in dog poo.  Popped into Amigos Backpackers but it was awful, the place over the road was full and probably too posh for us. 

We wandered back towards the main square and spotted the Grand Hotel which proved to be just that – a good price (180 BOB) with a big, clean en suite room.  It was almost midnight by this point and we weren’t feeling favourable towards Sucre.  Did it manage to win our hearts over?

http://www.boliviahostels.com/Grand_Hotel-Sucre_516-en.html

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.