Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Exploring Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 19 July 2012 | Views [501]

Despite an epic 36 hour journey where we relived 13 of those hours we got a good night’s sleep and were up early ready to explore.  Elefanta Rosa’s included breakfast was a nice and simple self-serve affair and the strong coffee has us raring to go!  Before we set off Deigo provided us with a map of the city and pointed out the main tourist sights, the best way to get there and any areas that were best avoided.  The day had dawned chilly but with clear wintery blue skies so off we set.

Although the underground station is handily placed we wanted to walk as we always find it’s the best way to take in a city.  Especially as we knew there weren’t any undesirable areas to avoid along the way.  First stop was to take a look around the cobbled streets area of San Telmo where we kept having to tell ourselves that we weren’t in Spain.  To be honest I’d best describe it as a scruffy Spain as it was bin day and there is graffiti everywhere.  Still we enjoyed pottering and decided to splash out on a brew in the Plaza Dorrego.

From there we wandered down to the newly renovated Puerto Madero area which is basically Buenos Aires answer to the docks in Liverpool.  As we were ambling along we stumbled upon the Reserva Ecologica Costanera Sur which both of us had thought was further out of town.  It was great wandering around a green area of the city along the banks of the River Plate.  Even though it is winter it was quite warm in the direct sun and there were lots of birds fluttering around.  Nothing very exotic looking but of course not the usual sparrows and minor birds that we’re used to.  It was great to see parakeets squawking in the branches as I still miss those from our days in Sri Lanka.  We also spied some rodent looking things that we can only assume are some relative of the guinea pig.

By this time we were rather peckish and as luck would have it down the broad avenue along the side of the reserve there was glorified hot dog stand after hamburger stall.  When I say hot dogs I mean chorizo in baguette with any number of salads for you to add and all for a couple of dollars – yum!  With our energy supplies suitably replenished it was time to carry on exploring the city.  Around the main square Plaza de Mayo many of the old buildings are very reminiscent of Madrid and we felt we’d found the Buenos Aires we’d seen in photos.  The city is very pedestrian friendly and by the end of the day we’d walked miles.  Following the long journey from the previous 2 days we were exhausted so had a quick beer in a local café near our guesthouse, popped into the supermarket for some supplies for tea and crashed out early.  Well we needed our rest as we were due in another country the following day.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.