Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

From South-East Asia to South America

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 18 July 2012 | Views [589]

Following an emotional end to 7 years in Malaysia, over 14 years in Asia, a couple of fraught days trying to sort out the last of the paper work and rattling round an empty flat you’ll not be surprised to hear that we were ready to get this year out started.  First objective was to get the looonngg journey over with.  The first 7 hour leg from KL to Dubai was fine as we actually managed to sleep most of the way and besides which we’ve done that route before.  The connecting 19-hour flight to Buenos Aires was the one we were wondering how we’d manage.  Hang on a minute – the flight goes to Rio de Janeiro first.

At least that meant we only had to sit in the same seat for 14 hours instead!  In fact it went by reasonably quickly by the time we’d watched a couple of films, chuckled at some comedy and played the in-flight quiz game.  We’re not used to the luxury of entertainment having used Air Asia for years on end.  Being fed for free was a bonus but the highlight was on asking for a glass of wine – they gave us a small bottle of Puilley Fume each.  We couldn’t resist tucking into a couple of those and before you know it there’s Rio.  It was very cloudy when we landed so we couldn’t see the wonder.

Unfortunately we had to disembark for over an hour while they cleaned the plane.  Most people seemed to be changing here but we found it a bit annoying since we were getting back on in the same seats.  Luckily this next leg was short of 3 hours and we actually reached Buenos Aires slightly ahead of schedule.  Things were looking good until we turned a corner to be faced with a mass of humanity stuck in a narrow passageway trying to make their way to immigration.  There was a queuing system in place but there were too many people and not enough space for it to work.  We spent well over an hour shuffling our way to the front of the line.  Not a great introduction to a country but we weren’t asked any complicated questions and once we were photographed and thumb printed we were finally stamped in and on Argentinian soil.

From there things improved considerably.  Deigo the owner of our guesthouse Elefante Rosa http://www.elefanterosahostel.com/england.htm was there to meet us as planned.  We were soon on our way and within an hour had dumped our bags in our room which was to be our new home for the next 4 nights.  The guesthouse is in a 100-year old house and has been very nicely restored with the original brickwork exposed giving it a homely yet rustic feel.  Deigo and his brother proved to be very friendly and informative and if you’re ever through this way we’d recommend you stay.  At only US$50 a night B&B in a capital city it’s a great deal in a good location.  Not right in the city but close enough to walk and there are nearby stops for 2 of the underground lines. 

The room is so high-ceilinged that they’ve put in a mezzanine floor to accommodate the bedroom and bathroom.  For us it feels like we have our own little flat again but it has furniture in it!  There is also a kitchen to use so we’re being self-sufficient right from the off for 2 meals a day.  With a comfortable place to sit and wine in the shop at only a couple of quid a bottle it’d be daft to blow our budget early doors.  That’s not to say we’ve not been out and about exploring so check in again soon for our first forays in South America.

Jumpa lagi Malaysia & Hola South America!

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.