Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

France 12 – 14 October

FRANCE | Thursday, 14 October 2010 | Views [846]

On the 12th we drove from Gap to Carpentras stopping at Sisteron where they have a Citadel high above their pretty town on a huge lump of rock. Petrol (95) goes from between €1.33 and €1.50 per litre, for us with a 70ltr tank it means it costs us about NZ$150 to fill up but it lasts a fair while. We found the countryside here quite boring (sorry to those who love Provence), one new thing was the avenues of trees we drove through lots of them and they were quite cool.

We've been using Google Maps to help us plot our journey through France and keep off the motorways and toll roads, it has been working really well especially since there is a McDonalds in every town with WIFI. Like our tip to go to Interlaken we also got tipped by a friend that we must go to Avignon which we were right next to so we headed there and by some stroke of luck ended up in a free Park & Ride carpark just outside the walled city. We spent the day wandering around this cool city. We walked all over taking in a couple of churches, La Place du Palais, the Bridge of Avignon (the bridge to nowhere), and climbed the walls.

We saw that south of Avignon on the Mediterranean there was an area called Parc de Camargue, we hoped this might be a beautiful natural area so headed there. Unfortunately it was mostly farmed and not that great on scenery except for a spot next to Etang de Vaccares (a lake) where we parked for dinner and watched the sun set. The next day we went right out past Port St-Louis to the sea joining a lot of mobile homes, cars and a tourbus there. Quite frankly we had no idea why they would have gone there, it was distinctly lacking in attraction for anyone but a fisherman and as well tho the sun was shining the wind was up and cold. Maybe they all came to see the birdlife of which there was some including flamingoes...

Our next stop was Nimes, Nimes is apparently the place of Heroes and it has the most complete Roman Amphitheatre in the world called the Arenes for its sand centre. We drove right into the middle of Nimes (where the Arenes is) and into a parking building in the ground which appeared before us. We intended to just go and have a look at it but ended up getting a combined ticket to see it and 2 other local interest spots. It was already afternoon and it took a couple of hours just to do the audio tour of the Arenes, then a hike across to a park and up its hill to La Tour Magne or Great Tower for a birdseye view of the city then on again to La Maison Carree to catch the last showing of a 3D film about 'The Heroes of Nimes' showing the emblematic heroes that left their mark on the city. An interesting afternoon and it was getting dark as we exited the underground parking building popping up into the rush hour traffic and nearly causing an accident, we headed south.  To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.