Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Italy, France 10 & 11 October

FRANCE | Monday, 11 October 2010 | Views [763]

The mist continued down into the valley in Italy, it was 5pm and felt like rush hour traffic even though it was Saturday. We headed east to Chatillon and turned up the valley toward Breuil where we hoped the new day would bring clear skies and a view of the Matterhorn. We stopped lower down where it would be warmer for the night. Faint hopes have foiled many a fine heart... The day dawned cloudy and cold but still we toiled up the fairly steep valley (in the car of course) and sat for a while in a carpark in Breuil hoping the cloud/mist would clear but no such luck. We had had our chance to see the mighty peak and it wasn't going to give another.

Back along the roads we had come on and up and over the 2188mtr Little St Bernard pass or the Colle del Piccolo St Bernardo, which also took us up into the cold clouds, at the top of which the border into France in this instance just the signs giving the country name and the road speeds (always helpful).

The road took 32km to wind down from the pass into the first valley in France and we had some great views on the way once we descended below the cloud/mist. One different thing about this pass was that the barriers beside the road were made of wood, strange because there were no trees growing anywhere. We were surrounded by mountains and empty ski fields. A couple of times we went under chairlifts going up to the winter slopes. There was another closed St Bernard dog museum at La Rosiere a ski village high up still but this time there were two large St Bernard dogs in a kennel there to say hello to. Stopped for the night somewhere before Aime and carried on the next morning turning left at Lechere onto another pass called Col de la Madeleine. This was a cool road obviously dedicated to cyclists as there were milestones with incline % and distance to next village etc for them. The countryside was beautiful with valleys full of yellow, green and red trees and villages perched on steep hillsides. At one of these, Celliers, we found the road painted with greetings from cyclists from all over the world including one Kiwi one. More dry skifields surrounded us as we climbed up to the pass this time at 2000mtrs.

Our next pass Col du Glandon at 1924mtrs was as picturesque with the mountains being much rockier and barren. On the way down we passed a couple of huge earth dams with hydro-electic power stations. We headed to Vizelle and on down to Gap, clouds were hanging lazily around the bottom of the mountains it being clear both below and above them, quite surreal.  To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.