Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

bus to Huanuco

PERU | Sunday, 12 July 2009 | Views [3347] | Comments [1]

We were up at sparrows fart ready for the 6am bus to Huanuco in the freezing cold. Yes there we were in the street, packs at the ready but the bus was not. We finally left at 6.30am, not a long wait but we really are just not used to cold weather! We again had great seats right at the front, actually even better ones after they discovered they couldn't close the door between the passengers and driver compartment because of Kents leg. So they transferred us to right behind the driver where we had a big window between us and the driver and he was lower so we had great views. Only one problem was both the first window and the windscreen were a little grubby so the camera had difficulty focussing clearly on the amazing scenes we were about to witness but otherwise yep, great!

Once we were on our way we headed along a narrow dirt road that was in great repair and the journey took us along a valley and over some huge hills and it was more amazing even than our journey yesterday. We travelled thru ordinary Peruvian life, thru villages and countryside full of people doing their everyday stuff. Every time we turned off our cameras we had to turn them back on again because something was happening or some cool sight presented itself. We went through all of our batteries on this journey. Carol zoomed down the back of the bus and sat with a window open in the cold so she could take clearer pics.

We wound along a valley beside a river then headed high up into the hills and were looking down on homes and villages below us. The countryside was patchworked with fields. Houses were adobe brick but the bricks were huge, not small like the bricks we have seen before. There were tiny round huts with straw roofs that we assumed were shepherds huts. Animals were being watched over out in wide open spaces, and others being herded along the road, some by adults and some by children. Corn drying on the outside walls of the houses, ruins of old adobe houses abandoned to the weather. So many sights, a great bus ride!

Comments

1

beautiful pictures!

  Haley Jul 18, 2009 3:56 AM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.