Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Huacachina, Peru - tiny oasis

PERU | Friday, 24 July 2009 | Views [3937]

We got an earlyish bus to Ica and after reading the LP guide decided to head out to a nearby oasis called Huacachina. On arrival we went looking for a room and found everywhere was pretty expensive as Peru is about to have a few days of festivals and also it is holiday season for the USA.

We found a room for 30s at Hostal Salvatierra a huge rambling hotel on the banks of the lagoon. A cool room, big and with a huge bathroom where we were able to fire up the cooker and make porridge!  haha, don't tell anyone ok.

We walked up the nearby HUGE dune and watched the sunset and all the 4WD buggies coming back from their tours.

Today 25th we have just come back from a buggy tour ourselves and it was a real blast! Cost 35s each and well worth it. We took lots of videos, one of Kent coming a cropper on a sandboard down a steep dune and of the ride in the buggy which was definitely designed to keep you on the edge of your seat. We had front seats and the ride was great! If you come here you just have to do it. A 2 hour tour includes 1 hour sandboarding way out in the middle of nowhere on great huge dunes!

Tonight a shower to wash the sand out of all the orifices and tomorrow on to Nazca.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.