Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

France 15 & 16 October

FRANCE | Saturday, 16 October 2010 | Views [732]

We skirted Montpellier taking the road out by the Mediterranean Sea but it wasn't that exciting and the wind was still up and still cold so the beach wasn't the place to be. It is a sandy beach down this way, not pebbly like the beaches further north on the Cote d'Azur. In Sete Carol talked to a fisherman on the wharf (his mother is from Martinique which we were very near in the Caribbean) who had just caught a fish called a Dorrard or something similar. He said that Balaruc-les-Bains was a nice place to see so we headed there, just nearby, and spent the evening looking out over the huge inlet watching the sunset and the locals walking on the promenade. The next day we watched budding yachties and windsurfies sharpening their skills in the bay.

Back to Sete and down the sea road and into Beziers and southwest through the area called Languedoc. We are on our way to visit friends who live in a place called Montrejeau southwest of Toulouse and seeing as the Pyrenees are straight ahead of us we are going to head into them and Spain and east to surface back into France south of Montrejeau. The scenery became more and more interesting as we headed south past vineyards and through a gorge called Gorges de St Georges where they literally carved out the rock hills and put the road underneath. After that it was just ordinary countryside scenery to the border into Spain.  To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/  (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.