Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Bequia, Grenadines

SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES | Thursday, 4 March 2010 | Views [2501] | Comments [1]

Costs pp: Gemstar Ferry from Union Island EC$50, ferry from Union Is to Bequia Is EC$35 return, double room at Ramblers Rest (US$25 per person per night, email= donnaka.bequia@gmail.com)

Ah Bequia...

We arrived on the Gemstar at 11pm at night, not wanting to go and look for a place to stay at that hour Carol asked if we could stay onboard and the Captain said it was ok. So we slept on the fairly comfortable seats until the morning when we caught the first ferry accross to Bequia. It arrived right next door to the Gemstar so not far to walk or to organise things. One way was EC$20 and return EC$35 on both options, there are two ferry services running.

At Bequia we were met by Donncha (Donnaka) O'Fionnalaigh who has a small guesthouse here and who we had been referred to by a couchsurfing friend. Carol quickly discovered that Donnaka is from Tullamore which amazingly is the place where she lived for a month while over there a few years ago. Out of the whole of Ireland it was funny that he came from that particular small town. So lots of laughs and rememberances and we settled ourselves in very happily in his home. Bequia is a beautiful little island, not quite so beautiful right now with the drought but the beaches and seas and port are definitely lovely. It is quite a touristy place although not overrun. Donncha's house is above the port so we could sit out on the deck and enjoy lovely views out over the bay.

We lazed a lot while we were here for the four days, we felt absolutely comfortable and at home with Donncha and he with us. He took us on a hike up Mt Peggy which is the highest spot on the island and we enjoyed a wonderful view from there then descended to Lower Bay below and into the sea for a much needed swim. We met a cool american couple, Joe and Mary, who were visiting on a yacht and they had us laughing over the funny things they have done on their trips in the past.

At length the time came to leave and sadly we packed up and caught the 6.30am ferry back to St Vincent where our LIAT flight to St Lucia and on to Antigua was waiting.

 

Comments

1

Hi guys,

We are the couple from the US who met you in the Grenadines at Frangipani. Hope that you are doing well in your travels.

Joe & Mary Lee Lucas

  Joseph Lucas Apr 28, 2010 12:14 AM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.