Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

St Johns and Seatons, Antigua

ANTIGUA & BARBUDA | Tuesday, 9 March 2010 | Views [741]

Costs pp: Flight from St Vincent to Antigua via St Lucia US$305 LIAT, local bus St Johns to English Harbour EC$3.50, Double room at Mels Guesthouse just off All Saints Road before the main shopping area EC$140 with ensuite, tv and WI-FI, cheapest eats are Chinese. Taxi from Seatons to the airport at 6am EC$74.

We arrived mid-afternoon and hitched a ride into town although there is a local bus that runs by the airport or of course the taxi option. We decided to head into St Johns as it looked like it would be the cheapest place to find a room but after walking all over the town Carol only found one guesthouse called Mel's with an internet cafe below. It was clean, not exactly cheap but we suppose it is cheap for this island.

The next morning we received an email from Foster on couchsurfing to say come and stay so we gave him a call and he came across the island and picked us up in his van and deposited us at his house in a lovely quiet inlet called Seatons. We had planned to do the 'tourist' thing on this day but it was so lovely and chilled there we just stayed there and explored that area. This is where, if you want, you can swim with the stingrays in the sea. There is also a cargo ship tied to a small island in the bay that swings about with the tide. There are macaws and other parrots in cages and sadly some monkeys also. But you can see it was an interesting place to be and we got to view a beautiful sunset.

Next day we did the 'tourist' thing and went to the old dockyard in English harbour and walked to another part nearby where it said on the map there was a couple of forts. Carol was lazy and sat on the lovely beach under a shelter as it rained a fair bit, and Kent went for an explore and found the forts and some great views on the hill behind the beach.

We were up at 5.30am next morning to take a taxi to the airport heading to our next stop of Puerto Rico.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antigua & Barbuda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.