Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Rada Tilly near Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 26 September 2009 | Views [1855] | Comments [1]

The huge beach at Rada Tilly is used for land yacht races, see them on the beach?

The huge beach at Rada Tilly is used for land yacht races, see them on the beach?

Costs pp: overnight semicama bus El Bolson to Comodoro Rivadavia 112p.

Slept most of the way on the bus, we got the very front seats so had legroom. The driver wasn't the best and threw the bus about a bit and Kent woke in the night and found the front window iced and felt the bus slide a bit on the road... Arrived in CR at 8am to a lovely windless day. This apparently is an amazing thing as CR is ALWAYS windy and cold. We were met by Eugenio who had offered us a 'couch' at his home in Rada Tilly a small town nearby. He took us up to a lookout where we viewed CR and it's growth and learnt that it is a town that grew from the discovery of oil in the area. Originally they had been searching for water as the area is exceedingly dry but they found oil so the searching stopped, with oil you can buy water, right. There are a dozen or so wells in the area only producing a relatively small amount of oil which is exported for refinement.

We spent the day, and night, with Eugenio and his wife and 2 children (and one on the way - due in one week!) in Rada Tilly. It is a town on a nice long wide beach, we took the dog Chancho for a walk along the esplanade there. It was cold with a small breeze, can't imagine it on a yukky day. Later in the day we went with Eugenio and the kids and dog up to a lookout area south of town. From there we could see the coast all the way south, like you can looking from Kaikoura down toward Christchurch. There was a colony of sealions below us in the calm ocean, enjoying the sun and barking away. Also below us on the beach of Rada Tilly we could see landyachts racing, or trying to without much wind. With such a wide long and windy,usually, beach it is perfect for this sport. Eugenio was full of information about the area which was great for us as we love to learn about the areas we are in.

The following morning Eugenio headed off on a flight into Brazil for his job and took us into CR where we filled in our day (another lovely almost windless one) by wandering through the one main street. With it being sunday all the shops were closed but we can only windowshop anyway, where are we to put anything we bought! haha. We got food from the supermarket and sat in the sun on the stoney beach at the port and watched the locals out enjoying the day out on the sea, fishing from the beach and also on the beach picnicing.

Next stop UAHUAIA!!! 

 

Comments

1

Awesome Carol!

  dawn Sep 30, 2009 11:35 AM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.