Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Ushuaia, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Monday, 28 September 2009 | Views [881]

Cost pp: semicama bus Comodoro Rivadavia to Rio Gallegos 136p, Rio Gallegos to Ushuaia 180p. Dorm bed at the friendly Hostel Patagonia Pais 35p (includes free internet and breakfast of coffee and toast).

We travelled all night on the bus arriving at Rio Gallegos at 7am waited an hour for our connecting bus. This was a single level bus (called a 'micro' here) but comfortable and when we got to Rio Grande after crossing Chile in the south we changed buses yet again. The scenery was fairly boring as Patagonia land is flat and arrid, the Straits of Magallanes (Magellon we pronounce it terribly wrongly) were flat and Carol got to get a glimpse of a black and white dolphin near the ferry.

We were prepared for freezing weather in Ushuaia but in fact it was reasonably warm. It is a pretty place, reminiscent of Queenstown in NZ but surrounded by more mountains. The mountains were covered in snow so it was strange to feel warm looking at them. In the afternoons a wind came up that was quite strong and destroyed the urge to go anywhere or do anything much. We didn't end up going far, just looked around the town then headed north again.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.