Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Omoa, Honduras

HONDURAS | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [716]

As has happened to Carol before we managed to get ripped off a bit when changing money at the border to Honduras, mainly due to the immigration official who blatantly lied to our faces. Amazing, we never expect the official people to be corrupt but over here invariably they are. Also we are also supposed to be travelling under a C4 agreement which covers Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua. This agreement means that you pay one entry fee and thats all. To get into Honduras we had to have our passports stamped with an exit stamp from Guatemala but then we had to pay entry to Honduras. It's only a small amount here US$3 but it's crazy that the governments organise something which is just completely ignored in practise. I wonder what will happen at the El Salvador border as we need to re-enter Honduras again to get to Nicaragua.

We went straight from the border to Omoa, a small town on the sea. The backpackers was great there except for the owner who is swiss and has a million and one rules. We paid 80 limperas each for a dorm bed and met some great other travellers and spent the first night laughing and playing cards with Lucy and Pete who are an english couple heading to NZ. If you see them make sure you invite them to stay, they are on a budget too and trying to get around the world. The next day we went with some other travellers to see a local waterfall but half way up the river we were told we shouldn't go any further as it is muy peligrosa, very dangerous. So we returned and went out on the sea on the free for guests kayaks and Carol went for a burn around the town on the ffg mountain bikes. It was a great place to relax and the sun was out each day and it rained at night.

We had been planning to go to Utila an island off the coast but found that it cost US$18 each to go over on the boat each way and other travellers said the island isn't so good for beaches but only for scuba diving (a course is US$240 ea approx) so that pretty much changed our plans and we headed inland.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.