Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Rio Dulce, Guatamala

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 7 February 2009 | Views [716]

We hitched a lift in the back of a ute to a place called El Paraiso where there is a hot river that waterfalls into a cold one. We paid 10q ea to get in and carried our packs about 5 minutes to the falls and got in and had a swim. We climbed up the bank (much to the horror of the guide who thought Kent could not possibly get about so easily on one leg) and sat in the very hot stream at the top.

Caught a minivan to Rio Dulce, it was raining again. We found a hotel right in the main street for 60q with baño and went to eat and to find a supermarket. We carry 2 minute noodles which are easy to find here and also 1 minute oats. That way we can feed ourselves if necessary. We have an element which we bought in Mexico that would be completely illegal in NZ that plugs in the wall and sits immersed in a container of water and heats it to boiling. We then pour it on our noodles or our porridge and cover for a few minutes and whoopie food!!

At the supermarket we met Claude (82 years young) who originates from France but has travelled the world. We spent the evening talking with him and the following morning he cooked us the most delicious breakfast on board his yacht. We are hoping we will see him again in our travels as he plans to do more travelling in South America.

We were so sick of the rain by this time that we decided not to go down to Livingston but instead we got on a bus and headed straight into Honduras where immediately the sun started to shine!  :)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.