Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

El Estor

GUATEMALA | Friday, 6 February 2009 | Views [829]

February 6th was a bit of a bastard of a day. We headed out from Lanquin by hitching a ride in a lorry, it was fun travelling in the back but when we got to the turnoff to be dropped the driver insisted on us paying exactly what we would have paid on the bus. We were going to try to go from there up the road to Sepoy and Fray Bartolome de Las Casas but no traffic at all came along and it started to rain. Kent donned his army issue poncho and discovered it was not waterproof at all. We gave up and caught a minivan back to Coban and walked around the town looking for the chicken bus to El Estor. We were got on one that was a standard bus but Carol gave the wrong destination and we ended up paying too much money for the trip as we had to get off and get another van only about 20 minutes down the road.

The van to El Estor went through some lovely countryside and we changed vans at an interesting looking small town in the middle of the route. El Estor is right on the lake edge, it is a small not often visited by tourists town and the locals were kind and friendly. In the evening we went for a walk around the town and found a marimba band playing in the town square. The weather held off a little while we were there which was nice.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.