Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Colima

MEXICO | Thursday, 18 December 2008 | Views [854]

A piece of the stuff falling from the sky

A piece of the stuff falling from the sky

We caught a bus all the way to Colima as the next town/city of Manzanillo didn't look all that appealing and it was cheaper to go all the way to Colima. We arrived there in the evening, it was dark and there was all this black stuff in the air. We realised it was fallout from the local active volcano. It wasn't ash like we experienced a few years ago in NZ but more like pieces of burnt thin wood. The air wasn't full but just pieces of it floated down and the next morning there was no trace of it.

We got a hotel room by the zocalo (the main square of each town) it had 4 beds and a kitchen area as well as the usual shower/toilet area. Probably used as a dorm room when they are busy but it was fine for us, and it had a tv which we watched spanish programs on.

Kent is having trouble with his stump, it got a sore on it which is healing fine but it's a bother. He uses his sticks when carrying the pack about and took his leg off and got about on his sticks around Colima. He gets a few looks but everyone has to earn a living here in Mexico so it's not an unusual site to see someone like him, although it's an unusual sight to see a tourist with one leg.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.