Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Morelia

MEXICO | Saturday, 20 December 2008 | Views [1084]

When we arrived in Morelia (the capital of Michoacan state) after quite a cold journey overnight by bus. We arrived at 3am and slept on the bus station floor until the world arose. We caught a 'collectivo' or shared taxi to town. It was a combi and we were lucky that it picked us up with our huge packs as we took the space of 2 people each. At the zocalo Kent waited while Carol looked for a hotel and after trudging all around the streets only finding expensive hotels at last found the Hotel Jorge right nearby where we got a nice room with ensuite for 200p.

There was a christmas parade on while we were there, well it was actually more of a Coca-cola advertisement but the locals enjoyed it. It was to start at 8.30 but began at 9.30pm and was just trucks lit up with coloured lights and people dressed up on the back yelling out about something. Each truck of course displayed their logo.

We had yummy and inexpensive food in Morelia, a comida (lunch) of soup, main and small desert was 28p and Carol's favorite was huge quesodillas for 10p. Morelia is full of fine old buildings and of course the requisite churches. It also had a cinema showing a couple of films in english.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.