Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Hawaii - better 2 years later than never...

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 13 September 2022 | Views [186]

Two years ago my eldest sister turned 70 and my two sisters and I planned and booked a trip to be together to celebrate this event in July 2020. Of course it never happened, life in relation to travel came to a full stop so the event was missed. This year we resurrected it and met in Hawaii where my other sister lives and spent a couple of weeks together. 

It was a wonderful time for the three of us. We did something new every day. We went all over the island of Oahu and experienced many of it's delights in views, places, food and beaches.  We got to swim (only just warm enough for me) in the clear sea a few times. We experienced the Polynesian Cultural Centre and it's food and performances. 

On my last week we flew to The Big Island (the island of Hawaii) where we hired a car and explored. Got to see it's smoking active volcano and meet some local Harley riders. We stayed a night in Hilo, I really loved this town. It was a really interesting trip.

My brother, who also lives in Hawaii, was at that time visiting New Zealand. Unsurprisingly, and lucky for us, he and his wife returned early from their trip because they couldn't handle the very cold weather. So we got to spend time with them and amazingly also their son, my nephew, who had just arrived back from living in Japan! 

So a truly family holiday, catch-ups all around. I'm hopeful to return again next year if the fares aren't too expensive and visit again.

I did return home with something more than memories though. We all caught Covid, we must have gotten infected on the flight to or from The Big Island. It made itself known on the first night home and I went straight into isolation for a week. Welcome home...

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.