Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

2023 A new year and about *** time

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 9 February 2023 | Views [234]

The thought of a new year, new adventures, new travels, new rides, was soul lifting but as we float (literally) on into the second month of 2023 I realise that someone forgot to tell the weatherman/person that it is now summer. Now of course I'm speaking of us down here in the tropics  :)  The weather is wonky worldwide atm. Winter places are getting summer weather, storms here and there out of the blue, freakish cold snaps in supposedly warm places. In New Zealand it's rain. It's been raining for about 6 months, feels like 6 years. We can count the number of lovely days on our fingers and toes. There's been so much rain that Auckland almost got washed away.  Mind you this is mainly the North Island, the South Island is doing okay thank you very much. They send their regards but well life's a bitch sometimes and they're just glad it's not them basically.

This year is going to be a busy one is the plan. January disappeared before we realised although I have memories of going to the Auckland Folk Festival in the township of Kumeu which nearly floated away while we carried on singing. The rain was so bad Auckland declared a State of Emergency, we were in the motorhome so all good, the festival was ramped back but continued, we just donned gumboots and umbrella's.  Then there was a heavy metal/rock concert out on a farm by Kihikihi in the sun with great constant music and exceptional views. And a trip to Auckland to see Sarah Millican perform, boy she tells dirty jokes and wow so funny!!!

February includes a ride with a mate down to Invercargill over a couple of weeks. For those who haven't yet travelled to our paradise the South Island is the most beautiful part of it. I of course am biased as I am a Mainlander having been born in Kaikoura. Biased or not, most Kiwis would agree it's scenery is absolutely stunning. Fingers crossed for a wonderful ride and cagers who look out for us.

March brings a group ride up to the top of the North Island and back over a long weekend. It's women riders group and an awesome one at that. Every time I am with them I feel grateful to know each and every one. Straight speaking, funny, honest, accepting, it's great to be riding with them. After that there's WOMAD in the motorhome, yay WOMAD, it's such a diverse festival. Two and a bit days of all sorts of things going on in the New Plymouth Botanical Gardens. I just love it.

My daughter and moko G are coming over in April YAY! Wow it's going to be a fabulous year! Despite the rain!

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.