Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Coming Up with Plan D in Darjeeling

INDIA | Tuesday, 9 April 2013 | Views [467]

The first jeep Yuksom to Jarethong only included one barfing bairn and the second jeep from Jarethong to Darjeeling was mercifully vomit free!  Jarethong has a very well organised jeep park where we popped to the loo, grabbed some short-eats for breakfast and were soon on our way to Darjeeling.  The jeep bounced its way on shocking roads through a couple of tea plantations.  We’re not sure it was the conventional route so it was nice of them to throw in a complimentary tea estate tour!

On approaching Darjeeling the build-up of traffic was just as dense as it had been last year when we entered town from the opposite side.  It took us a while to get our bearings as the jeep dropped us in an area of town we’d not previously been in.  We walked to the higher reaches of town via steps and it seemed tough going carrying all the bags.  Once we were in the heart of Clubside we didn’t mess around – Steve went to see what Dekeling Resort and Hotel could offer us.  We splashed out $30 a night for a comfortable room that gave us 24-hour electricity, hot water shower in a large en-suite bathroom, free wifi and cable TV.  The former married with the latter being the most important so Steve could watch his derby in the middle of the night.  Watching City win at Old Trafford is always a pleasure.

Once again we were in a place where we’d covered all the tourist sites in a previous trip so fully utilised the room.  Steve did a stalwart job booking things for the next leg of our trip then wandered down to the train station to book our onward travel.  The only drawback was all the trains to Kolkata were full but he returned with tickets from Kolkata to Puri.  He also discovered there were only night buses to get us to the city so we chucked the budget out the window and will fly down.  We have no ambition to spend any time in one of India’s top four cities but have to pass through on our way to the coast.

Since we’re about to move to a landlocked country, and having decided to move away from the mountains, we thought more time on the coast would be a good idea.  Plus we thought it would be nice to kick off the hiking boots for a few days and feel warm – next stop, Puri (via Kolkata).

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.