Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Relaxing and Hiking in Vilcabamba

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 2 October 2012 | Views [649]

The last instalment ended in a bit of a hurry so let me take some time to tell you about the excellent place we’re staying in during our first 3 nights in a new country.  Le Rendez-Vous Hostal Guesthouse (French owned you may have guessed) is pushing the boundaries of our accommodation budget but believe me its money well spent.  Our spacious, en suite (oodles of hot water), clinically clean, secure room complete with private balcony including hammock plus breakfast (homemade bread) thrown in is costing us $30 a night.  The cabana style rooms are set in lovely gardens and we can see hills all around. I’ve not finished; there is a water fill service, the rooms are spruced up each day, there’s heaps of travel information lying around, laundry and hand washing facilities.  All-in-all just the sort of place we’d love to have and to top it all off there’s a resident cat. In fact the cat has just wandered by to meow hello but it’s got a bit of a Parisian attitude to it!  We’ve stayed in some wonderful places over the last couple of months but we felt this place deserved a special mention. http://www.rendezvousecuador.com/index.php?page=hotel&lng=eng

So what about Vilcabamba; it’s a very small, incredibly quiet, pretty little town that has more than its fair share of ex-pats / hangers on residing in it.  That said; we can readily understand why people would want to stay as it’s a cracking little place with just enough places to stay and eat with enough to do and see in the surrounding area.  We’ve contented ourselves with utilising the room and balcony as much as possible so have been self-sufficient for lunches.  However last night we parked ourselves on one of La Terazza’s tables overlooking the main square and tucked into a Mexican feast.  All the food was excellent and the portions were huge resulting in us ordering more food than strictly necessary.  It’s been at least a week since we’ve had a really good, tasty feed so it was well worth the splurge.  Although in actual fact at less than $20 including a beer each we’d found it great value for money.  The only way they could improve on what we had would be to remember to buy and include the jalapenos that were listed on the menu description – but I’m nit-picking.  At the other end of the price scale we popped to Papaya Café near the bus station and were served a tasty plate of chicken, rice, yucca and salad for just $1.50.

It hasn’t all been lounging around stuffing our faces and I’m sure you’ll have noticed from photographic evidence that we’ve both put on too much weight.  We just don’t seem to be able to get out of holiday mode and it’s so nice sitting somewhere pleasant supping a tall cool one.  It’s now reached the point where clothes are beginning to feel uncomfortable, and there’s no room in the budget for garment shopping, so we’re going on a health kick.  Well we’re going to cut out the beers and do more trekking.  Vilcabamba has proved to be the perfect place to wake up our trekking legs and lungs. The guesthouse we’re in furnished us with a map and details of some shorter walks worth doing in the area.  Here’s the best bit; you don’t need a guide so they are free except for a $2 donation towards a small reserve.

Yesterday afternoon we went to Rumiwilco Reserve which is located just to the north of town.  Basically someone owns this huge plot of land and has added a few basic cabins and made trails around the rest of the property.  As you enter you leave $2 in an honesty box, pick up a map and information booklet and self-guide yourself around a variety of trails.  It’s not an extensive reserve but it has a river running along one side, gulleys you can walk up and ridge walks to take you to the top of a steep bluff for views overlooking the town and surrounding hills.  The only problem with one of the ridge routes is that you have to briefly cross over into the neighbour’s cattle land and should you encounter him you’ll be met with a wrath of fury.  Other than that we enjoyed spending a couple of hours in there and used most of the trails.  The owner has also gone to the trouble of naming and labelling many of the plants too.

The following morning we set off on the longest and most challenging (though still in the easy category) walk described, namely; Waterfall del Plato.  To begin with headed out of town in an easterly direction and popped into a book exchange place on the edge of town.  They have a reasonable selection including travel guides in a range of languages with some tomes for borrowing only.  We swapped ours plus $2.50 and Steve now has something to read again –phew! 

Anyway we followed the road out of town, pottered along a track for a couple of kilometres until we reached and crossed a bridge marking the beginning of the walk up to the waterfall.  We walked steadily uphill for a while and then the gradient lessened as we walked through cattle pastures.  You go through several gates until reaching one that is locked.  Our instructions said if anyone was around to pay $1 entrance fee but if it was unmanned to climb under the barbed wire fence.  The fence has been repaired reducing the gap considerably so we got the message that the land-owner really didn’t want people traipsing over his land.  After our run-in with an irate farmer the previous day we took the hint and simple carried on along a trail that continued up the hill.  About an hour after crossing the bridge we found a look-out point and declared that the end of the walk.  It had been a good little workout (about 12kms) and it was great to be walking in the hills again – even better that we were on our own and could go at our own pace.  Vilcabamba doesn’t have jagged, snow-capped peaks but the autumnal scenery is beautiful in a very different way.

All-in-all a fantastic start to our exploration of Ecuador and we’re very much looking forward to seeing more with walking and trekking featuring high on the list.  Obviously there’s the highlight of the Galapagos to look forward to but I’m trying not to get too excited too soon!

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.