Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

The Salkantay Trek to the Lost City of Machu Picchu

PERU | Thursday, 30 August 2012 | Views [811]

The group turned out to be much, much bigger than we’d expected at 24.  On talking to other they were as surprised as us and in general people are more used to walking in smaller groups.  Obviously the beginning of the day involved lots of messing about and hanging around but we finally got trekking.

We had to get up at 4am to catch the bus to take us the 90km to Mollepata (2900m) and the trailhead.  This was also the ‘not included’ breakfast stop and much faffing before we got going.  We were split into 2 groups but we soon amalgamated and then fragmented into 3 ability groups.  At first it looked like we’d been basically split into Spanish and English speaking groups but on hindsight it was by age.  We reckon the idea was that the young’uns would be fitter and it just so happened that they all spoke English too.  That left us in the older therefore slower, predominantly Spanish speaking group; they got us wrong on both counts!  There were some sound people in the front group that had naturally formed so despite the large number of us we were sure it would all work out.  It appeared that some people were trekking for the first time so were finding the hills at altitude tough.  It turned out that Steve & I were the oldest but the most experienced at trekking at altitude.  Fancy that!

Anyway let’s get to the trek.  Initially we followed the road (i.e. dirt track) out of the village that steadily wound its way up the nearest hill.  We found ourselves in amongst the lushest vegetation we’d seen since leaving Malaysia.  That said we weren’t stuck in dense jungle as had views looking up and down the valleys.  Clouds were looming not far above our heads and as we got higher it looked like we would meet up with them. Luckily as we ascended so did the cloud bank and in fact the weather steadily improved throughout the day.

The trekking wasn’t very strenuous so we got plenty of time to take in the views.  At times the group was so spread out our break stops were too long waiting for everyone to catch up so we started to feel cold.  It was actually warm while walking and we sweated for the first time since leaving KL!  As we rounded a bend following the end of the day’s uphill section we were faced with a steep sided valley dominated by a snow-capped peak at its head.  This glacier clad sharp pointy peak has never been summited but of course people have tried.  From the look of it the ridges make the one we were perched upon on Sajama resemble a dual carriageway!

The path then descended gradually down into the valley where we stopped at Cruzpata (3400m) for lunch.  This involved quite a long break but fortunately the sun was out.  From there it was a steady walk along the ‘road’ to our campsite at Soraypampa (3900m).  We were now in the crux of two valleys with the head of the second valley being dominated by Mount Salkantay (6264m).  An incredibly stunning peak and yet again this glacier smothered mountain hasn’t been conquered.  We were told that this night would be the coldest of the trek which makes sense since it’s the highest campsite on the route.  Apparently temperatures regularly drop to -50C and we could see that if the wind was blowing down from the ice and glaciers.  The good news was that all the tents were erected under a corrugated metal roof with a huge tarpaulin wrapped round to form a shelter.  Obviously not as warming as bricks and mortar but it certainly limited the breeze blowing through.

There were quite a few big groups camped around so goodness only knows how mobbed the original and more popular Inca trail feels.  There are probably around 70 people a day on the Salkantay trek but we were led to believe that there are 500 a day starting the Inca trail in peak season.  One group we kept passing were on the ultimate luxury trekking tour.  They were staying in what looked like fabulous lodges and their eating stops were made of sterner stuff than ours.  Mind you it was costing them US$3500 a head for their 6-day trek; more than a month’s travel allowance for us.  Tents will do just fine!

Tomorrow sees the toughest day’s trekking as we climb up to a pass at 4650m after breakfast.  Considering two of our group resorted to jumping in a truck for the last (and easiest) part of today’s walk I’m sure they will be taking advantage of the horses that are on standby.  It’ll cost them an extra Soles 90 each and it seems mighty unfair to ask a pony to carry you up sure high, steep slopes.  All will be revealed tomorrow.

DAY 2

As per usual with these camping treks we didn’t get very much sleep last night so having to get up at 5am wasn’t a problem.  To be fair we were brought bed-tea but I know Steve would have preferred Tetley’s with milk and sugar on the side rather than black coca tea.  Breakfast turned out to be minimal considering we were about to walk up to 4650m with an ascent of 750m.  Unfortunately it was cloudy when we set off so we were glad we’d taken all our mountain photos the previous evening.  It looked momentarily like the sun was going to win but we ended up walking up to the top in cloud and mist.

The ascent wasn’t too bad; just two long sections of steepish up with a flatter section in the middle to give you a breather.  Obviously our now well established breakaway lead group got to the top first.  The drawback to that meant we spent on hour on the top in the gloom gradually getting way too cold.  We had to wait for everyone else (including those on ponies) to get there so the guides could explain a bit about how the Inca’s divided their region.  They also told us more about the importance of Pachamama with how and why offerings are made.  We then made our own offering of coca leaves and everyone added a stone to make a group mini cairn.  Whilst placing the stone we were told to make a wish; we knew this was going to happen and had been told to carry a stone up from base camp.  I think I was the only one daft enough to carry two stones to the top so maybe only our wishes will come true!

While we were on the top of the pass we heard a huge rumble that sounded distinctly like thunder; the weather was grim enough without a storm rolling in to soak us all.  It turned out that we’d heard an avalanche and were extremely grateful that it hadn’t fallen our way.  As we descended the other side we kept hoping we’d drop below the cloud line.  Two hours later and 700m lower we were still hoping.  Following some not very inspiring food we set off down towards that night’s campsite another 1000m below us.  We hit the tree line and although it felt a little warmer we were still in thick mist.

The vegetation gradually thickened and the spring flowers brightened up the gloom.  Without views to keep us entertained one of the guides informed us about some of the local plants and flowers.  It was lovely to see some orchids in bloom and we saw 5 different varieties but even more exciting was spotting 3 different species of hummingbirds.  We arrived at camp at Colpapampa (2800m) and the lowest point we’ve been since leaving Argentina.  We’d walked about 21kms to get there so a good day’s walk and for most of our group one of the longest and most challenging day’s trek they’ve ever done.  Plus for most of them when they were at the top of the pass that was the highest point they’d ever stood.  So everyone was full of beans at the campsite and it was good to feel warm.  However, the glimmer of sun we’d had on the last stretch of the walk disappeared so we had to face reality; it was going to be a cold, damp night.

Tonight’s campsite was set in the confluence of two steeply sided narrow ravines and in fact we’d been able to hear a fast flowing river for most of the descent; the Salkantay River.  It was good to finally get a glimpse of the water source that is feeding the high montane forest.  Tomorrow we descend further into the jungle but the going will be much steadier giving me plenty of time to take in the plants and flowers.  Plus; look for creatures.

DAY 3

Today turned out to be a non-starter of a day.  We were awoken an hour later at 6am (a lie in!) but had still finished trekking by midday.  Granted it was lovely walking down through the high level forest learning more about the plants and tasting some local passion fruit.  Plus we were following the narrow, thunderous Rio Santa Teresa.  However, once the path met the road we were shoved into a van and driven 10mins down the track to Playa (2400m) and lunch.  Why couldn’t we have walked that section?  It’s hardly the M1!  To add insult in injury not long past Playa we passed the start of the Inca path we’ll be taking tomorrow; so why not camp in Playa?  It didn’t make sense to be driven all the way down to camp in the town of Santa Teresa (1900m) to then be bussed back up the next morning.  We would have survived a night on our own!

On the plus side the weather was glorious all day – please, please let it continue to be fine and clear for the next two days.  Despite the cold water supply it was actually warm enough to have a shower so we didn’t ping as much.  The campsite was set among various fruit trees that attracted lots of little birds.  Everyone else went to the hot springs so we had the place to ourselves to relax and read.

That evening a campfire was lit but we left that and the dancing to the young’uns.  That’s not to say we were our usual anti-social selves, we were with a great bunch of people and it was the first time we’d had chance to get to know everyone a bit better.  Anyway the Uruguayans bought a round of beers, then Brazil joined in and there was no way England were going to look like spongers!  It was great banter and we were once again relieved and happy to have been allocated such a good group – we even made some new friends.  Hi Brett!  Next thing we knew it was midnight and us trekkers had to get up at 5am; sleeping bags were hastily crawled into.

The group was now split with our splinter group of 7 doing the extra trek to a lesser Inca site at Llactapata.  No one else had been told about this option so it was great that others wanted to join us – I hope the company tell future customers about this option.  There was another group walking down the road and railway line and the third group, the walking wounded, would be bussed to the railway line.  We knew we’d all be together in the hostel in Aguas Calientes so we didn’t have to do the farewells just yet.

DAY 4

This turned out to be the best day’s trekking and the longest at 22kms.  Since we’d insisted that this detour take place (we’d already paid extra) the option was opened to all and as I said 5 more chose to join us.  That was great news for us as the guides couldn’t then retract the option saying two people wasn’t enough.  Anyway we got bussed back to the trailhead and set foot on this section of the Inca trail at 7am.

The Incas knew / thought about path erosion long before the rest of the world.  Their routes are paved with flat stones and shored up with dry stone walls resulting in them still being in excellent working order to this day.  They liked to put steps in the steep parts so at times it can feel tougher than walking up a mountain.  They were also very good at following the natural contours of the land so the paths tend to gradually rise.  It took us just over 2 hours to reach the high point of the walk at 2800m and it really hadn’t felt like we’d ascended 700m.

The path was very quiet as few companies offer this section plus our guide Edwin (a common name in these parts – this was our 4th guide christened thus) ensured we were ahead of any groups using the trail.  The Inca site at Llactapata is only small but it was set in fantastic, wooded, mountainous scenery.  From there we could see way across the valleys and could actually see a section of Machu Picchu in the distance.  It gave us really good perspective of where this famous site was located and just how inaccessible it is.  Fortunately everyone who chose to join us enjoyed the experience and were glad they’d accompanied us.

The path then plummeted down to the river and it was so steep we could now easily believe we’d climbed 700m that morning.  We then followed the river to a huge hydro-electric plant.  As we neared the industrialized zone we passed a very impressive and mighty powerful waterfall.  There were signs telling us not to stop due to freak bursts of water flow but of course we couldn’t resist taking photos.  It’s not often you see a waterfall gushing out of a hole in the side of a mountain.  As we were looking up a huge rock was jettisoned from the cave mouth and bounced and bashed its way down the vertical rock face.  Instead of moving as the sign suggested we all stood and stared; mesmerised by the force of nature.  The staff who monitor the area (and wear hardhats) weren’t impressed and ushered us along.

Following our packed lunch we actually got to walk on flat ground – a rare event in these parts.  The path followed the rail line down to Aguas Calientes where we were at the oxygen rich levels of 2000m.  It was a long, hot 11km plod but we were still surrounded by steep vertical mountain sides and thick vegetation.

In town we were quickly allocated rooms in Ollantay guesthouse which was basic but clean with aguas calientes (hot water).  Unfortunately we were told we’d have to wait for the 5.20pm train for our bags to arrive.  That left us with a couple of hours to wander around the purpose built town but actually we just wanted to grab a shower and put on our cleaner clothes.  Oh well, it was better than carrying our stuff all day and the train duly pulled into town at the allotted time and we were reunited with our bags.  That gave us all just enough time to get washed and changed before meeting up for our final meal together.  After the meal we received our Machu Picchu and train tickets and swapped contact details – see I told you we hadn’t been antisocial this time!  Early to bed for a 4am rise to get up to the wonder in time for sunrise.

DAY 5

On most treks the final day isn’t very exciting and can actually just be a long, tedious walk out of the area and back to town.  Not so with this one – we had Machu Picchu to explore.  About 20mins walk from town we passed through a ticket and passport checkpoint before crossing the bridge and ascending the 1700 steps to the wonder.  The path is pretty steep as you go up 400m elevation but it only took 40mins to get to the main gate.  Our group assembled here ready for the 1 ½ hour long guided tour of the ancient site.

Our guides (Edwin and Nico) were very informative as they had been for the duration of the trek and it was good to learn more about the place.  The tour was just long enough without information overload and this was the final service the guides would provide.  Following group photos and final farewells we all went our separate way to explore at our leisure.  We’d booked tickets to go up Huaynapicchu so we’d be able to look down on Machu Picchu; just being in the place wasn’t enough for us!  Our pass wasn’t valid until 10am so we wandered around the maze like paths concentrating on what would have been the residential area.  The ultimate room with a view.

That’s the beauty of Machu Picchu; it’s not just the ruins themselves that are worth seeing it’s the whole setting.  How they managed to design, shape and physically build everything on such a precipitous ledge is mind boggling.  Some of the crop terracing goes down vertical slopes and again they had though carefully about water gathering and storage.  What amazes me is that terracing was used way back then but it’s not a system you see in use on crop farms today in Peru.

We kept looking over towards Huaynapicchu wondering how on earth we were going to get to the top.  It transpired the extremely steep path / steps followed a gully up the middle of the mountain face.  There are only 200 people allowed up twice a day and it’s just as well as there is very little space on the boulder strewn summit.  We found a less precarious perch from which to admire the views of Machu Picchu and the surrounding mountains and valleys.  From this vantage point we got a greater sense of scale and just how well positioned the town was.  There was no way the enemy was going to be able to creep up on you but to make doubly sure they’d build lookout and guard posts.  Hence the steps going up this steep side mountain.

On descending Huaynapicchu we walked up to the main guard house on the edge of the town.  From here we got to see the classic picture postcard view of Machu Picchu and it makes an excellent, free alternative to going up the mountain.  We spotted a sign pointing to an Inca bridge so we went to have a look.  Considering all the fantastic buildings we’d been admiring all morning we were expecting a rather splendid stone bridge.  Sure enough this section of the Inca trail was as shored up and solid as the rest including building walls down sheer rock faces.  The bridge turned out to be a plank of wood over a gap – mighty disappointing.

Steve decided we hadn’t yet seen Machu Picchu from every angle and since this was a once in a lifetime visit we needed to walk up to the sun gate.  This is at the opposite end of the site from the mountain we’d climbed up earlier and marks the entrance to the wonder if you’re on the traditional Inca trail.  Once again it was worth the effort but by now we were quite exhausted – it turned out to be the toughest day’s trekking!

By 3pm we’d done and seen all we wanted and bearing in mind we’d been there since 6am we felt we’d given it plenty of attention.  It took about an hour to track down the exit, descend the steps, walk back into town and order a beer!  Machu Picchu has been on our wish list for many a long year and it took some time for it to sink in that we’d explored it.  Our train didn’t leave until 7pm so we didn’t reach Ollantaytambo until 9pm where we transferred onto a bus and another 2 hours to Cuzco.  It had been a long, long tiring day but well worth all the effort and expense.

Travel info:

We booked our trek through http://www.amazonwildlifeperu.com/ but they were really just an agent for www.salkantaytrailperu.com so go direct to them but do ask for the trek to go via Llactapata as it is a great days walk. The trek was well organised and the guides were great but the groups were way too big! Also pay the extra $10 to go up Huaynapichu mountain or Machu Pichu mountain for ace views of the ruins.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.