Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Crossing the Border to Peru

PERU | Thursday, 23 August 2012 | Views [363]

We grudgingly checked out of our lovely room and walked down to the bay to hop on a boat back to Copacabana.  Once back in town it took a while to rouse someone before we could pick up our bags – I think we’d been the first and last to check into Hostel de Solar for some time!  We secured bus tickets for Puno and tucked into a cheap, tasty menu of the day before boarding our vehicle bound for our next country.  The bus company were organised and gave us immigration cards as we got onto the bus to complete before arriving at the border.  It’s only 6km to Kansai where we all had to disembark get stamped out of Bolivia, walk across no-man’s land and get stamped into Peru.  It really was as simple and straight-forward as that with the border being very calm and relaxed.

With the formalities complete it was time to sit back, relax and enjoy the Peruvian scenery.  We continued to follow the shores of Lake Titicaca with towns and villages dotted along where the inhabitants survive via farming and fishing.  I’ve tried to explain just how enormous the lake is and you really do feel like you’ve reached the coast – it’s even got seagulls flummoxed and there are loads around!

Puno proved to be an okay but rather scruffy town with the only finished off bit being the pedestrian only tourist street in town.  The first thing that stuck us was how much more expensive everything was.  All the numbers on menus, in shops and hostel tariffs were the same as over the border but in reality that meant it cost 2 & ½ times as much.  Luckily just one block away from the tourist trap things became more affordable with the best bargain being a saltena (empanada) bought from a street stall.  For less than a dollar (2 Soles) we got what was basically a huge chicken and veggie pasty.  We got a surprise on biting into the chicken – it was a leg; bones’n’all!

We stayed in a place right near the bus station which granted wasn’t the most salubrious part of town but it was convenient since we’d be leaving again early the next morning.  Down a side street near the bus station we found the new, clean and secure Hostal Inka Tours that charged (Soles) S35 (US$18) a night for a double room with private bathroom.  On hindsight maybe we’d have been better to carry on straight to Cuzco but we didn’t want to get there in the small hours in the pitch black.  Our Lonely Planet had got us spooked about how wary and on constant alert you have to be in the tourist mecca.  Plus if you want to have a good experience of Lake Titicaca then I don’t see how you can beat a trip to Isla del Sol.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.