Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

At the Copa.... Copacabana....

BOLIVIA | Monday, 20 August 2012 | Views [496]

With Sorata’s main square still all dug up there was a modicum of confusion at the minibus stand.  Not surprisingly our directo bus turned out not to exist but our ticket was promptly revised and the necessary change given.  In the end it meant we had to jump down at Huarani Junction where we would have to flag down a Copacabana bound mode of transport.  Within minutes a truck stopped and offered to take us to Copa which is not to be confused with the beach resort in Brazil by-the-way!

We thought things were going too smoothly when he kicked us out at Tiquina after a rickety wooden mini ferry crossing over a section of Lake Titicaca.  Within 30mins a minivan pulled up whose destination was Copacabana and this time we reached our destination.  Town appeared to be much smaller and infinitely more manageable than we’d thought from promotional photos we’d seen.  Following a short wander we decided to check into Hostel la Solar which is was basic but clean and perfectly adequate for a night at only Bob70 (US$10).

Copacabana sees many tourists passing through so there is a street thronged with tourist shops, ticket offices, travel agents, internet cafes and restaurants.  On the lake shore, that is decidedly not beach like, there are pedal boats for local tourists and a row of cheap eateries.  Trucha (trout) is farmed in the lake and is very much the local speciality so obviously Steve was keen to try it.  Just by walking a couple of hundred yards from the tourist strip you can save up to Bob20 on your fish dish; so we did!

The town square is dominated by a white and colourfully tiled cathedral which is a very popular spot for people to get their vehicles blessed.  First of all they decorate the windscreen and wing mirrors with brightly coloured paper streamers, then they add a shiny cardboard top hat to the front of the roof, get the padre to bless the vehicle (for a small donation of course!) and finally douse the wheels and bonnet in local fizz.  The town square stinks of wasted booze but then the family drive off to one of those local eateries I was telling you about and tuck into some beer.

There’s not a huge amount to do in Copa as really it’s just a jumping off point between Bolivia and Peru or a visit to Lake Titicaca.  However, on the edge of town there’s a small knoll people like to walk up to watch the sunset over said body of water.  You following the stages of the cross to the top and there’s some sort of religious thing up there but the whole place is disgustingly littered.  I thought the Asians were bad at looking after important and religious buildings at times but this was the worse we’ve ever seen.  That said we were glad we’d gone up there as the sun looked magnificent sinking below the horizon.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.